What to do with old iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jetjaguar, Dec 9, 2016.

1. jetjaguar Suspended

jetjaguar

I originally planned on recycling it with apple since they give you a small something. The machine powers on but I think the board might be toast because the hard drive was replaced twice but it still shows an error on boot. Because of this apple won't give me anything for it. Should I just toss it? It's a 2011 27" iMac.

2. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I'm guessing you already have a replacement? Failing that, I'd see how much to possibly get the motherboard checked...

3. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

varian55zx

You may be able to sell it on eBay, or if you live in a larger area, you may try Craigslist.

I doubt there would be much interest for that product in a non-populated area on Craigslist.

4. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

I don't think it sound like a board problem. Have you tried booting from an external drive?

5. jetjaguar thread starter Suspended

jetjaguar

I'll try that.

6. smirking macrumors 6502a

You can always sell your old iMac for parts. There are people who specifically look for broken Apple products to strip for parts. I had a dead Titanium Powerbook once some years ago and I think I got around $175 from PowerbookMedic.

7. marcolin macrumors newbie

marcolin

[QUOTE="Should I just toss it? It's a 2011 27" iMac.[/QUOTE]

boot from external disk/pen drive and use it as external monitor (target display mode)