What to do with old iphone after 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jwang1228, Jun 10, 2008.

1. jwang1228 macrumors newbie

In order to get the funds for my 3g, since I want 16gb, I will need to sell my original iphone right after. I remember trying to jailbreak once, ended up restoring and made my phone as if I just got it, had to register it again and what not. Once I get my 3g and do the sim xfer thing, will the old iphone be of any use? Can I reset it to as if it was not registered to a number and sell it? Or will it be completely useless? Thanks.

2. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

I hope at some point that Apple provides some way to "officially" turn 1G iPhones into a full-feature iTouch. Also, at the end of my 2-year contract, I expect that my phone should be "officially" unlocked. Whether there are other carriers, at that point, which will support the full iPhone experience is questionable, so I might stay with ATT, but when my contract is complete my phone shouldn't be locked (as most others can be legally & officially unlocked).

3. jwang1228 thread starter macrumors newbie

The question is, what is a used iphone capable of? Is resetting the sim possible? Or is it a touch if left on airplane mode?

4. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Well, after reading some of the recent draconian changes I'm guessing the demand for the older gen 1 iphones will start going back up, especially to outsiders of att.

Ebay my man.

5. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Expect, but it ain't gonna happen. There are people who bought the iPhone, and paid the early termination (which SHOULD also get you an officially unlocked phone)... and it did not happen.

I filed a complaint with the FCC in this regard, and nothing came of it. So, nice dream, but it is not reality.

Obviously, I agree with you.

6. jwang1228 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea I am gonna ebay it, and Carfac, I did manage to reset my phone so it was unlocked after I messed up jailbreaking it, during my restore. I just want to know if anyone knows how to do it because I cant repeat it for some reason.

7. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Sorry- I thought you meant an "official" unlock, as in ATT sends you a code and you are free to use it anywhere with ATTples blessing.

For "unofficial" unlocking what you got now, I would just ZiPhone it, or maybe even pawnage. I use mine on T-Mo- I did pawnage and it has worked out great!

8. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

Does any/everyone think the SIM card will be different for the 3G iPhone as compared to 1st Gen? I would think they probably would be.

If they aren't I'm going to use my current phone as a secondary. We shall see.

9. TimTheEnchanter macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

Thats pretty much your answer for now. :(