What to do with old iPod?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MonksMac, Feb 9, 2008.

1. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I got a new iPod for Christmas and it has been great. However I still have a 4G 20 gig iPod and I don't know what to do with it. Does anyone have any ideas because I hate seeing it just sit there with nothing to do. Any ideas appreciated!:apple:

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Spread the love and give it to someone who deserves it.

:)

4. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

Load it up with the music you love and pass it along to someone special, as a personalised gift, especially for them.

5. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Those are great ideas but I don't know who I would give it to.:eek: Not to mention it's HD is not doing so well right now.

6. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

i work in a supermarket, and they have music that plays over the speakers (a CD on a 2-3 hour loop). this can get very annoying when the songs REALLY suck (i know music is personal, but the staff seem to agree with me)

sometimes i hook up my old iPod to the store's live radio feed in the managers office (when he's not there of course :p)

second iPod i gave to my dad and currently i have a 16GB Touch (which will probably go to my sister when iPhone released in Australia)

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I sold that exact iPod (fully functional, pretty decent body but a fair amount of scratches) for $120 on Craigslist a few months ago, you could easily get a $100 for it since people on craigslist generally seem to pay more than electronics are actually worth... Get yourself something special, spread the love to someone you know, or even make a charity donation if you're so noble! Beats keeping around another piece of tech that will only lose value and you'll rarely use.

8. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

I would try and sell it if you could if not then give it to someone.

9. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Mine find use in one of three ways:

1. Dedicated car music server. "An iPod in every glovebox!"

2. Dedicated room music/video server. "A super fast (manually) syncing ATV."

3. Family hand me downs. With children spaced 2-3 years apart, one gets old enough for his/her own iPod just as Dad needs to upgrade. ;)

10. MonksMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I think I have found a good use for it for now. My classic needed to be charged up so I grabbed the old iPod before I went to exercise. It worked really well for this purpose so I think I will use it for this for now. I'm still open to suggestions however! Thanks guys!:cool:

11. yeroen macrumors 6502a

yeroen

Apple ostensibly has a recycling program for old equipment on their site.

I've tried numerous times to recycle my old iPod Photo. I've filled out the online form, and a pre-paid recycling package was supposed to be sent to my home. Despite numerous attempts, I've never received one. The emails I've sent to inquire about what's going on have been ignored.

I think it's safe to say that the Apple recycling program is defunct.

12. SaveGamehendge macrumors newbie

disk mode

If you enable disk mode for your old ipod, and keep it free of music,
    you can use the entire space as a simple external HD. If you save .txt files to the ipod in disk mode, you can then read those notes on he ipod via Notes on the go too. Very handy spare/portable HD. Happy trails.....

13. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA

14. bloodycape macrumors 65816