What to do with old ram and hdd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by napalmit, Jun 24, 2009.

1. napalmit macrumors newbie

I just upgraded my ram and hdd in my 13' uMBP base model to 4gb ram and 500gb hdd. Now my question is what do I do with the 2gb ram that came in the computer and the 160gb hdd?

Ebay? Buy a case for the hdd and use it for external?

Any ideas?

2. PhixionFilms macrumors 6502

Craigslist ebay for the ram. But dont expect to much. Also i would case the hdd and use it as an external like you said.

3. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

id keep the ram incase if id ever have to ship the laptop back to applecare so they wont blame the problem on ram..

4. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

+1

Exactly what I was going to post. Also, it's good to keep these parts just in case the new parts fail...

5. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I kept my original 120g hd intact - still bootable - and my original 2g RAM. Both are in my desk drawer in the off-chance I might have to send in my MBP 2.2 SR in for repairs directly to Apple. No point in taking a chance, especially since in my case I stand a reasonable chance of experiencing the 8600GT gpu problem, and I do have AppleCare. I've heard some conflicting reports of people losing their RAM upgrades and even hd upgrades when the machine is sent in for warranty/Applecare repairs, and others say it didn't happen to them. I chose to be on the safe side here... :)

6. Advil macrumors 6502a

Keep them both. I had a friend that had a motherboard problem and Apple wouldn't look at his computer unless he brought in his stock RAM. He only had one stick and somehow lost the other but they settled with that. This is the only reason why I didn't give my RAM to a friend of mine. I'll be keeping my HDD whenever I upgrade too.

7. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

What you do is buy a WD Passport, remove the drive inside and put it in your Mac, then put the Mac drive into the Passport. You now have a external drive.

8. napalmit thread starter macrumors newbie

This is good, but I use my passport for backing up already...

The main problem with keeping it is I travel overseas for atleast 8 months out of the year so I cant really hold onto it while im travelling, so if anything were to happen to it i would send it straight back to apple, and i couldnt put that stuff in and then sendit back...

9. boom2085 macrumors newbie

boom2085

keep them around in the box that your mac came in. That way you can install them back in if your mac has to go back for work.

10. buckeye17 macrumors member

I took my RAM and put it in an external FW800 enclosure. 4gb internal, 2gb external baby!