what to do with old RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gelatin, May 28, 2009.

1. gelatin macrumors 6502

just upgraded my MBP from the default 2x1gb sticks to 2x2gb sticks.
    now i have the old sticks spare. where can i sell them?
    what should i do to ensure they dont break or whatever? so far ive just put them in the packaging my new ram came in

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If you bought your RAM from OWC, they allow you to send it in and get some money for it. Check it out here.

I still have the original RAM that came with my MacBook Pro and iMac. I store them just in case.

3. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

I give it to family (or some friends) who have computers (usually notebooks) that could use it.

4. gelatin thread starter macrumors 6502

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

sell it craigs' list. i sold my 2x1GB stock ram for $30 a few months ago. my 2x2GB sticks cost me $40 from fry's:) it is crucial ram.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Hang on to it. That way if you ever have problems, you have some other known-good RAM you can swap in a test with (sometimes defective DIMMs or incompatibilities don't show up right away). You might want it for another machine someday. You never know. I have a big bin I keep unneeded but functional computer parts in. It's contents come in handy every so often.

7. spice weasel macrumors 65816

You have to toss it in a pool of molten metal, lest Skynet use it in the future to build T-101s.