What to do with old technology

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wesg, Sep 8, 2008.

1. wesg macrumors regular

wesg

I was foraging through the vast dump that is my closet, and came across a 4 Port Dlink router that likely doesn't work, a 14" iBook battery that probably has > 300 cycles and some other assorted technology bits and pieces.

What does everyone do with outdated technology that may or may not work? Any recommended places to recycle?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'd recycle the battery if it was dead..if it holds a charge you could sell it or give it away on MR.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

From what I can tell, the ability to recycle here in the US is spotty at best. I've no idea about Toronto, though.

So I'd say try to donate if possible. Selling may also be a possibility, but at a certain age, it's pointless. :eek:

4. 215512 Guest

Take Me To The River!

Just throw it into a nearby river! Just kidding!

Or, even funnier go into an office building and put the stuff in an elevator and press a random floor! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I'm am very immature!

It will take a while for me to stop laughing about the elevator part! I remember when I was at a cousins Bar Mitzvah many years ago and I put several chairs into the hotels elevator! The look on the staff when they tried to figure out what was happening was awesome! I was laughing so hard I nearly cried!

-superhamster

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

At one time places like Radio Shack (or Circut City now I guess), Futureshop and Staples had a drop-off for recycled batteries. Actually I found this list of battery recycling drop offs via the City of Toronto's web page. Just enter your postal code and it will give you drop offs nearby your house.

Superhampster, while putting chairs in an elevator might be prank-like it's not particularly funny. Face it, it lacks little skill or artistic basis... depending on the chair arrangement ;). Throwing your junk in an elevator is just plain dumb, uninspired and leaves somebody else to pick up after you... and certainly isn't worthy of it's own thread. :rolleyes:

6. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I usually just toss it in the trash...

*Hides from Greenpeace*

7. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

i have lots of plastics and scrap parts from clamshells that i usually throw in the trash, probably not the best thing to do.

8. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

doesn't apple have some kinda battery recycling program? Anyway, I'm a pack rat so most of my old stuff ends up in the garage or in a closet

9. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes, they do and I've used it.

Moreover, under EU legislation, most of the EU countries (I'm not sure that all have transposed the necessary EU directive into their own domestic law) now
    oblige electrical sales outlets to take back old electronic/electric items from the customer when the customer is purchasing new ones; a specific tax is levied on the businesses, which they have a right to pass on to the customer (the size of the tax - which is quite miniscule - depends on the size of the electrical product, thus TVs and fridges cost more than an iPod, or light bulb.)

Cheers

10. DigiCatRedux macrumors member

DigiCatRedux

Glue it all together in some arrangement and decorate with metallic markers. Call it an arty-paper weight. Hand off to friends at Christmas.

What?