What to do with old-world macs

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redsteven, Mar 18, 2009.

1. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I've got a bunch of old macs in the basement. And when I say old macs, I don't mean g4 iMacs... I mean old performas and g3s.

So what do I do with them? Should I just try to sell 'em on Craig's list for $20 a piece? Take what I can get?

Or should I take them apart and try to sell the parts inside?

Wasn't sure if the "buying tips" forum was the best one to post this on, but none of the others really fit the bill.

2. mr1970 macrumors member

It probably depends on what's inside them. If they're completely stock there's unlikely to be great benefit to going to the effort of stripping them down. If they're upgraded in any way you may get a few dollars for the RAM as old RAM can be expensive.

Personally I stuck 1GB (2x512) into a G3 iMac I was given for free, added Leopard for usability and my 11 year old loves it - it's surprisingly usable.

Craigslist may be your best bet if you're just looking to clear space fast.

3. waiwai macrumors regular

those are vintage... maybe make ur personal Mac Museum or make some dough by selling them on EBAY or Craiglist

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just make sure you make the buyer pay for shipping :-\

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Yeah, some of those old beasties are heavy. If you've still got original manuals, etc, you'll get a little cash selling the whole package on ebay. My guess is ebay will net you more because your are targeting to a more specialized market than the market for current machines.

That said, you could always drop Linux on the ones too old to run a decent Mac OS and use it as a file server on your network (provided they've got a network connection).

6. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

I am not computer savvy, so would like to buy an older system that can surf internet and play some real basic kid games. I see listings all the time on craigslist and ebay.

What's a super cheap setup for a 7 year old?

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

A G3 or G4 iMac or eMac is probably your best bet.

8. txnoob macrumors 6502

eMacs have been available in droves on Ebay, at least they were. I got a great deal one 1. $95 shipped w/ super drive and airport. Popped in another 512MB of ram and I have a pretty nice machine for my 8 year old and she loves it. She likes that it's differrent from the other computers in the house (well, soon there will be a Mini too). That being said, I also had a G3 iMac w/ 512 MB of ram and 40G hard drive that ran 10.4.11 pretty well for basic internet browsing. those can be had for $40-$50

But I would try and stick with a G4, you'll get a tad more functionality out of it.

9. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

Which are G4's?

Recommend any games for kids? Not shoot em type, educational type.

10. txnoob macrumors 6502

eMacs, iMacs, Power Macs all came in the G4 flavor. I would recommend 800Mhz or faster.

I can think of 2 games off the top of my head that she loves. Barbie Island Princess and a
    couple "I spy" games. Maybe on Half.com or Ebay you could find them.

11. redsteven thread starter macrumors 6502a

redsteven

I was afraid the most people wouldn't want to buy the ginormous shipping costs, but perhaps I should give it a try.

Maybe a 9.99 start price and $35 buy it now for one of the old performas with a g3 upgrade in it (even though it's not gonna have a lot of RAM or much of a hard drive.)

I DO have adb keyboards/mice, and probably the software/manuals for a few of them too.

I guess it's worth a shot.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The G4s are the "Lamp" style iMacs. Some of the best, in my opinion.