what to do with older iomega IDE drives

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, Aug 23, 2014.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have been cleaning out my desk of some peripherals, and came across a couple of iomega IDE hard drives, one is a plastic enclosed 160 gb, and the other is an aluminum enclosed 250 gb.

I could repurpose them, for use in my sata icydock enclosures, but how would O get the IDE to for the sata?

and if I wanted to wipe them completely clean, there is some personal info on them, how would I do that so they are secure, so my info is not retreiveable?

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Depending on how concerned you are about your data, a reformat will clear it, or a program like DBAN will completely overwrite the drive.

There are IDE to SATA adapters, but modern SATA drives are pretty much superior in about every way. They tend to be quieter and faster, and can be had for practically give away prices in the capacities you are talking about(Newegg has refurbed WD Blue 250gb SATA drives for $30, and refurbed Seagate 160gb SATAs for $25).

Many of us who play with older computers value high capacity IDE hard drives, as they are a bit harder to find than their SATA counterparts and work great in computers like MDD G4 towers.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

There are inexpensive USB enclosures that use IDE drives, you may find that more cost effective than IDE to SATA converters.