What to do with stock RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Silock, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Silock macrumors member

I'm in the market for a new MBP. From what I understand, the stock configuration for RAM is 2 1gb sticks. So, if I want to go to 4gb, I need to replace both of those... but what do you do with the original 2 sticks? Sell them on eBay/craigslist?

2. elmateo487 macrumors 6502a

yes. That is exactly precise. Or... keep it, unless you have to go in for repairs. Then they wont say... Your aftermarket ram is causing these striping problems with your screens!

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i gave them to a friend. she only had 512 in her HP.

i have no need for ram in the drawer. Useless to me. What if i have a problem with the new stuff and have to RMA it? Ive got 1gb in the drawer that I use in that rare circumstance.

But id rather give someone the 2gb to enjoy, and suffer 1gb if I ever have an issue...Which i havent.

4. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I gave mine to a buddy who had a CD Macbook with 2/512 chips. Bumped him to 2gb.

5. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Unless you really need the money, keep it. As the other poster said, in case you ever need to have some repairs made, you can swap back in the old RAM to prevent them using that as an excuse and possibly charging you for the repair.

6. nanvinnie macrumors regular

is there any difference in buying ram from apple and crucial... noticed that the biggest difference is in the price, but what about performance and reliability?

7. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

Nope apart from the RAM you buy from Apple is supported

8. nanvinnie macrumors regular

figures. thanks!

9. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

As others have mentioned. My spare ram is sitting in a box, just in case either my Mini or MacBook need to go back.

10. Silock thread starter macrumors member

Well, that's lame. That makes me wonder if it's not just better to go ahead and get the RAM from Apple and save myself the trouble. It's not THAT much more expensive (about a $40 difference from what I'm seeing, but maybe I'm shopping in the wrong places).

11. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

At least this is something:

http://eshop.macsales.com/money-back-rebate/macbook-memory-harddrive#macbooks

It'll get you $20 back from buying the RAM. They have something similar if you upgrade the hard drive.

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Except you can get like $30 for that RAM!

And I would keep it; I'm keeping around 7 sticks of 1GB RAM from a variety of laptops upgraded.