What to do with the 06.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by cryingrobot, Aug 9, 2010.

1. cryingrobot macrumors regular

The question alot of 06 owners have been facing has been whether to upgrade their chips and ram or buy a new system. Its been a tough call every year since the 06 still does everything fine so I have been in a holding pattern..not wanting to spend money on upgrading to octo chips since I may be getting a new pro but still not really needing the new mac pro.

Right now both options are imperfect and kind of wasteful....but it might be worth it to upgrade the 06 AND invest in a new Mac Pro if I could stick them side by side and allow the new Mac Pro to utilize the processor of the old one...effectively giving it 8 cores in addition to whatever is in the new mac pro. I recall seeing references to being able to do this in Logic using Nodes and Ive heard of people daisy chaining older macs together for this reason but does anyone know if this concept is doable on the mac pros?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I just sold my mostly stock (upgraded 4GB RAM) '06 2.66 for $1300. I was still happy w/ it but wanted to get money out of it while it was still worth something. It had a good run. I'll use the proceed to buy my new machine and the new owner got a good deal.

3. Major Reeves macrumors regular

4. strausd macrumors 68030

It sounds like you kinda want your own mini render farm with two Mac Pros...

If you wanted to get rid of the 2006 model, you might wana check this out and see if its worth it.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

FYI: Rip off. Better off trading it w/ a retailer like powermax or sell on eBay. An '06 MP in perfect condition is worth a lot more than $714. That's ridiculous.

6. strausd macrumors 68030

True. But time is money and some people don't wana spend the time trying to sell their old machine and find it easier to just send it to Apple and get a gift card.