What to do with the gift card?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by docgerrard, Aug 15, 2011.

1. docgerrard macrumors 6502

I know there are other topics on this, but I had two $100 gift cards, and after downloading most of the apps on there I still have close to $150 left!

I don't know what else to do. I stream all my music online. I don't edit pictures or videos. I already got microsoft office through my university. I have netflix and amazon prime to stream videos online.

I am lost!

2. simply stunning macrumors regular

Give it away (to me!).

Or you could sell it on eBay or some other site.

3. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

If they are already applied to your account, just leave it there. You will eventually need software and that way you'll have the money for it, so it will almost feel like you got it for free.

If you still have the gift card unapplied to your account, sell it.

4. amitdoc2b macrumors 6502a

It works for iTunes and the App Store for iPhone as well. I've bought Pages for iPhone, Space Gremlin for Mac, and bought a music video so far! :)

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Plant it in the yard and start growing a gift card tree.

6. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

Let me know if this works.. I have a $15 one i've yet to apply to my account.

7. eyespii macrumors 6502

careful with selling that gift card online. Lots of eBay scammers out there! Whatever you do, make sure you mail the physical card to the buyer with tracking - don't email the code!

I, like you, found nothing enticing to spend the $100 gift card on. Much rather have the cash.

8. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Good advice. I do a LOT of selling on ebay, but never a gift card. Would not have thought about not giving out the code.

9. panda bear macrumors 68000

panda bear

I'd rather sell on Craigslist.

Meet the person at a place where they can check the amount of the gift card and apply it to their account immediately after they give you the money.

10. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I got my $100 BTS iTunes gift card when I purchased my iMac from Apple (I got my Air through Best Buy), and I have not yet used a cent of my iTunes gift card. There's nothing I really want to buy. To be perfectly honest, the gift card sucks. =/ They should've given a general Apple store gift card, and those who wanted to purchase apps/iTunes and whatnot, could've bought an iTunes gift card with the Apple store gift card. But alas...

11. rchip macrumors regular

Heh I never even thought about this actually, i returned my mba to the store and i just checked and i've still got the gift card in the bag in my draw. I've since gone back and bought another one, so this thread has just made me realise i have two gift cards :eek: ... Do you think the one that I still have from my returned mba will still work!? Or will it be deactivated or something? I don't want the Apple police to come knocking!

12. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Did you check your receipt for the return? They probably took off $100 for the value of the gift card...

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Me Too

If it grows, I would like some cuttings:)

14. rchip macrumors regular

Nope they never, i did get the full amount back, they didn't even ask for it hence I guess why I forgot about it 'till now. I think it might have been because the receipt was a bit confusing because I did an exchange first and then got my money back.

15. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I got the $100 BTS GC and $200 in GC as a birthday present. I gave the BTS GC to my cousin as a graduation present and activated one of the $100 GC and I've only used $15. Still deciding if I should activate the other $100 GC.

I refuse to buy music from iTunes due to DRM. And I don't really need any apps for my iPhone or MBP.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

17. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

So, how do you obtain music and the like?

They may have deactivated it. I already used some of the balance on my card when I returned my last MBA, so they just charged me the full $100 for the card.

18. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

Just because you have Amazon Prime and Netflix--so do I--doesn't mean you can't try iTunes to stream videos--maybe some new titles you can't get from Netflix or Amazon Prime.

19. Streffert macrumors member

I sold mine to a member on another forum. He sent me some amazon payment monies and I emailed him the code, easy game!

20. docgerrard thread starter macrumors 6502

well i already applied it to my account lol

what are some cool apps to download?

21. Scylax macrumors regular

Man what is wrong with you guys? :)

I have dozens of apps on my wishlist, literally! I just got my gift-card and I could use it five times over and still want to buy another card this month. There are so many great games and productivity boosters to choose from.

As far as cool apps go, that would depend on what you use your machine for. Anything from Scrivener and Pages to games and fun stuff-there's so much! :D

22. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I'm just really picky about what to buy. Just because I have the money, it doesn't mean I should just get an app. I also don't like to clutter up my iPhone either. As for my MBP, there's really nothing there either I want in the App store.

23. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

All of you who think the gift card sucks, I will gladly message you my address and you can mail them to me! I'll take them off your hands and end your dilemma and get lots of new movies and music from iTunes while I'm at it! Mine was gone in about 5 minutes. Lego Harry Potter, Lego Star Wars (yes, I am hopelessly addicted to Lego games), and a whole bunch of music. Loved the gift card promotion!