What to do with this iMac G3?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by allbrokeup, Oct 19, 2008.

?

A MacQuarium or a CD/DVD Holder?

1. MacQuarium 3G

40.0%
  2. CD/DVD Holder

60.0%
  1. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

Well, a while ago, I pretty much was given a Bondi Blue iMac G3 with 384M of RAM, 60G HDD and OS X 10.3.

Not so long ago, I found out that the maximum the computer (or, Apple) really supported was 30G, so, sure enough around 5 months later the Hard Drive fails. No spin up on boot, All data....gone.

So, I tried reinstalling Mac OS X - HAHAHA - No DVD Drive to do that.
    Reverting to Classic - Wrong Firmware.

So, today, I took it into the den, ripped open the bottom of it, took off the chassis, and carefully removed the CDRom, HDD, Logic Board and Speakers. (aka, Everything on the bottom side of the computer).

Now, I am stuck. I want to convert this mother into one of two things - A MacQuarium or a gigantic CD/DVD Holder. But the problem is, I need to discharge and remove the CRT while keeping the glass. I am terrified to do this, as I have heard it is very high voltage and could kill me.

I can take it to a repair shop to get it done (CRT removed - SAFELY :D) and then seal up all the holes and buy all the things to make it a MacQuarium, or I could simply remove the screws holding down the lifter-handle-magiggah and use that as the lid for my CD Holder.

What do you guys reckon I should turn this into?

2. allbrokeup thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey guys, sorry, but if you vote for the MacQuarium, could you reply back with a link on how to set one up? My friend did it, and said he followed a cool guide on the net to help him stem the holes and make it watertight.

Cheers!

3. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

CD/DVD holder. I believe this is much better! Oh, when you deside which one you want post some picture for us to see!!!!:D

4. allbrokeup thread starter macrumors 6502

CD/DVD Holder it is then!!!!! I was 99% sure on that. Anyway, I probably couldn't keep the fish alive. :D:D

Check out the thread in Picture Gallery for the progress pics!

Cheers!

5. derryquinn macrumors 6502

derryquinn

I'm very interested,

Could you link us up, or post the pics here?