Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveIT

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
AK, USA
I seem to have everything I need...what are all the extra PCI slots for? Sound card? Maybe a PhysX card in the future? What did you add in there?

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I seem to have everything I need...what are all the extra PCI slots for? Sound card? Maybe a PhysX card in the future? What did you add in there?

They're good for second (or third, or fourth) graphics cards, audio interface cards, video capture cards, RAID controllers, SCSI controllers, extra SATA, External SATA... the list goes on and on...

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
When I get a new mac pro, I plan on buying an extra USB 2 pci express card so I have more ports. Down the road I am sure ill get an eSATA card also and maybe a extra video card for a 3rd monitor. That fills all the slots up right there.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
All the newfangled IO that will be out on the market that make your machine look old in the future.

In the old PPC days, this was basically how Apple kept up their old chipsets -- they just added IO to the machine via PCI (and how the currently adds FW to the MacBooks/iMac/Mini/etc.)

Or you can add 3 other video cards, then buy an 8 screen display.

zenview-atlas19s_350x176.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.