What to do with two AIOs?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by im_to_hyper, Apr 11, 2007.

1. im_to_hyper macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Hey there!

I have two beige AIO computers and I have NO IDEA what to do with them. I think it would be interesting to maybe put a WiFi card in them, and do something other tinkering with them, but I don't know what the best course of action would be.

What would you guys do with these? Any interesting project ideas? Any good uses for them, perhaps?

EDIT: I have gotten some good ideas on upgrading, and some people interested in buying these. Here is a link that describes a PCI video hack that will allow you to use PCI video cards to power your AIOs display!

I have yet to try it, so I am no good with tech help, I do appologize.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I had no idea you were in Minnesota, Nice to know you neighbor ;) .

How about making them video juke boxes? The systems may not handle the most current codecs out there, however if you have another system with Quicktime Pro (or similar software) you can compress or uncompress the videos into a format works well with that system.

Just some suggested hardware path for this.
    - G4 ZIF processor upgrade (a 500Mhz G4 will play videos encoded at the same level as ones in the iTUnes Music Store)
    - Larger IDE drive
    - USB or Firewire PCI card
    - Max out the memory

I am actually looking into one of these for a computer for my kitchen area to watch videos that are available on my network server (a G3 B&W that is configured similar to above) while cooking, or just hanging out in that part of the house.

3. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Well, if you wanted, I could let one of these go to you for $10 plus the cost of shipping. :) Where are you located?

4. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Interested in trades? :D I've wanted one of these for a project!

I have lots of older apple laptops, pcs, server motherboards, ram, B&W g3 parts, etc

I was going to max it out with:
    g3 450mhz ppc g3
    768mb ram
    200gb hard drive

and it would make a nice itunes server for my 1,800 songs :)

of course, 840quadra gets first choice if he wants it... but if not, lmk!

5. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Well, considering I have two of these, I would be more than willing to do a deal with both of you! MacEfan... what have you got for portables? Anything OS 9 + Wireless worthy?

6. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am actually in the Twin Cities area, but have been meaning to head up to duluth for YEARS now. I used to visit often, but haven't for the longest time.

I am interested, I just need to figure out if it makes sense for me to get one of these now or to wait until I sell some other stuff :) .

They pop up locally (Minneapolis area) from time to time so if macEfan really wants one, I can wait for a bit :) .

7. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

OK Cool -- if you are ever up this way, give me a shout out. :) In fact, you could make a trip up sometime near the end of the month --- hit up Canal Park... take a walk along the shore... pick up a G3 AIO... :p

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I heard a rumor that under the right environmental conditions, they breed...

you may get a mini out of them! :eek:

9. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

10. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

So they bred! The offspring was this nice little indigo slot loading iMac. Its really cute.

Has anyone heard of a PCI video hack to get a PCI graphics card to power the internal display?

Also, Quadra, I may make a trip down to the Cities pretty soon to visit some friends at the main U down there sometime before finals up here at UMD. If I came, I would let you know so I could bring you my AIO if you were interested. I would give it to you for free if you paid for my gas there and back. (I am soooo looking forward to the train connecting us in 2009!)

macEfan and I are trading one of these for a little classic laptop.

11. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

yes i have herd of this mod. i was wanting to do this at first. but having 2 monitors grew on me.

i forget the link to the page. but i remember posting about it here and applefritter and discussions.apple.com in the beige G3 area. all you need to do is a forum search or google search.

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am interested, but money is really tight right now. I am going to Detroit for a trip that has been planned for a bit, just bought new tires for the car, am putting a down payment in on a motorcycle, and I have to pay for 6 months of insurance on that bike too :( .

I need to watch what I spend for now, If you still have it when I am ready, it will be worth a trip up to Duluth for me ;) . For now I will have to pretend that this 575 that I am typing on is an AIO!

13. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

Ah, that would be understandable. Although you do realize that for $80, shipped, this nice shiny AIO could be yours, right? :)

I would have 256MB of RAM and Jaguar loaded.

I even bought a 32MB graphics card to try and do the PCI hack with, but still haven't found any resources for that, so I won't be doing that anytime soon.

Just think... for only $80 you could be starting your VERY OWN G4 AIO! :)

14. im_to_hyper thread starter macrumors 65816

im_to_hyper

15. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

sorry for the long reply all but i have no internet (no wifi connections around where i am at either). so i have to use it from the library (what fun).

I first learned about this little hack on applefritter a wile ago and no google search i did came acrost it. So i asked about some sort of hack like this from there and the person gave me a link to to that site.

so i started posting it about in diffrent Mac forums to give this hard to find directions on how to more lite so people can find it better and it looks like it worked a bit.

have fun with it if anyone plans on doing this one