What to do with website ideas?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Hls811, Oct 7, 2008.

1. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

Ok, I'm kind of stuck.. I've got a few ideas for what I think could be profitable websites but don't have the knowledge to actually build them. i spoke with a friend of mine about the idea and financially he'll help me with them but I'm not sure what the first step would even be in putting this together.

Where would someone go to find a developer or site admin? Is that even a logical first step? Are there companies that assist with this sort of thing? I don't want to get taken by giving out my idea(s) and letting someone else run off with them.

Any advise would be appreciated!

2. matttrick macrumors 6502

similar position here, id love to know how one really gets going. kevin rose did it with a $1000, but he also knew a kickbutt web programmer, so i wonder how joe average without that kind of connection starts.

3. HomeBru Studios macrumors member

HomeBru Studios

Most developers won't do it for free. There are tons around as independent 'contractors/designers' as well as lots of web hosting sites that offer a design service. You could also try places like Craigslist or your local newspaper's online web site.

Determining a web developer's honesty regarding not 'running with your ideas' can be difficult over the internet. You could opt to provide a very general scenario, if not about the business, at least about the kind of pages you require - if the candidate wants/needs more information you could demand that he/she sign a non-disclosure agreement and agree not to 'steal your idea' (but you would need to word that in legal-ese).

In the end, a contract is only as good as its enforcement and the web is a big place to try to track down a thief and then you have the expense of court costs to prove that it was your registered idea anyway, etc. etc...

I would simply opt for the easy solution... trust your gut. Sometimes you will get it wrong but most times you won't!

BTW: It is probably against forum rules to advertise that I am the kind of person that can help you so I won't do that here.