What to do with your new UK iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nsheikh80, Nov 2, 2007.

1. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

Right.

This time next week, the majority of us will have an iPhone in our clutches. For those that are looking to jailbreak and unlock what is the process going to be? I thought I understood it all until www.jailbreakme.com launched.

I don't understand if jailbreakme will activate the iPhone too? Can I browse the internet without activating?

I guess we just need to list a step by step process in this thread as to how to go about jailbreaking and unlocking. Anyone care to start?

2. Project macrumors 68020

Jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate things.

You can't do anything with the iPhone until it has been activated.

3. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

No-one knows if the UK iPhone will be unlockable because we don't know what firmware version it will ship with.

We'll know in 7 days.

4. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

cant see it being unlockable since 1.1.1 was causing unlock probs too I'm actually happy I have a 1.0.2

5. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

If only macrumors had a separate forum for a topic such as this...

6. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

MrT8064

you can run the www.jailbreakme.com from an activated, locked phone, using a cunning method:

in the emergency pad type *#307# the call, then delete the numbers, and type 0, then call, then hold, then end, you can now create a contact with a URL, this URL can be anything on the internet... including jailbreakme.com

there is some other code for changing settings (such as auto lock) which i cant quite remember

7. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Unlocking and jailbreaking were easy. I have 1.1.1. My phone arrived with it. Took me a couple of hours from start to finish. Paid for the unlock (doesn't change baseband modem) and I was sorted.

I think those of us with iPhone SIM FREE will have no problem with the new firmware... :)

8. Steve Jobs=God macrumors 6502

So lets say the UK iPhones come with 1.1.1, i know we don't know for sure, but as a just in case, what would be the best ways/sites to go about unlocking or hacking the phone

jailbreakme.com has already been thrown up for hacking for 3rd apps, any others?

9. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

What to do with your new UK iPhone?

Use it
    Show it off
    Laugh at all those misguided and uneducated fools still using Nokia's N95
    Show it off
    Play music anywhere and everywhere
    Answer it by shouting down the phone at people "I'm on my new iPhone" in a Dom Joly style way
    Most of all, Enjoy it.

10. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

Me and my friend were talking about this! It should go something like this:

"Sorry? I'm on my new iPhone, bitch! Yep! Your sound quality is SH*T! What phone is that? IT'S A FEEBLE PHONE!"

:D:cool: