What to do? :(((

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spaape, Jul 20, 2014.

1. spaape macrumors newbie

I've been researching Macbook Pro's the last couple months in need of getting one for my first year of college. Seems like every time I have a hope of the new Macbook coming out it gets pushed back.

What do you guys think I should do? Wait it out to see if they release a new one in September or pull the plug and get one right now?

Getting the Macbook Pro Retina 15-inch with 2.0 Ghz.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Based on what we have read about Intel chipset releases, I think all you will see in September is the ULV chipsets used in the Macbook Air. I doubt you will see a new Retina in September.

3. spaape thread starter macrumors newbie

So should I just pull the plug and nab the few hundo off on the 2013 model? Probably won't be doing any heavy editting for it to be worth it.

4. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Decide by what you need, not what will be new. If your going to school in the fall and you don't have a computer then you will likely need it.

Apple is very unlikely to release anything beyond a minor spec bump to the line between now and next year - there just isn't anything in Intel's roadmap right now with Broadwell delayed.

That minor spec bump isn't likely to be on the low end 15" as you have indicated your going for so your best bet is to find a good deal on the current models. Apple is running the back to school promo with a $100 gift card on top of the regular education discount. You could also look at refurb pricing or promos being run by local retailers like Best Buy.

----------

If your doing heavy video editing, your should really be looking at the mid range model with a dedicated graphics card. Having CUDA support and the heavy lifting of the NVIDA graphics makes Premiere/FCP play a lot nicer.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I would. There are some good deals now on the current model.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Buy now. Good deals can be had through the refurb store or places like Best Buy.

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

Is there anything coming with Broadwell that you cannot live without?

If the answer is no, why even bother waiting for it?

9. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

6 more weeks of waiting will get you 200 MHz more..

This is what awaits you in September, .. if can wait those 6 week longer..

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/07/21/intel-launches-new-haswell-chips/

:apple:

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

School is fast approaching, I'd get what you need now and not worry about the future.

11. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

I'd definitely pull the trigger on a rMBP now. You can always sell it later and buy the new one to take advantage of all the incredible new technologies Apple incorporates.

12. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

You have a few months before Q3 is finished, Apple never release anything in Q4.