Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
So my MacBook Air is getting a little slow. I have it connected to my 27" monitor. The ONLY thing that I do with it that requires the processor is play Wormax.io, which I love. I notice when I have the toxic booster and it gets bright, the fan comes on very loud and it starts to get jumpy and lag.

I like Mac OS X and want to stay with it, but what are my options? I don't want to spend lots of money on an iMac or Mac Pro just to play one online game. The Mac Mini is the perfect thing for me, if they would just make a damn new model.

I don't know what to do. I would HATE to go Windows, but there are a lot of options right now and none with Apple.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I had to look up what this worm.io thing is. You could try a different web browser for starters.
Alternatively you don't need a pro device for this title. I can't imagine that the 12" MacBook couldn't handle it just fine. How old is your Air?

Reactions: Wirenut

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
How much RAM do you have? What generation of Macbook Air?
Also, try different browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Opera...). This worm.io is a quite CPU and also GPU heavy "web-thing".

Last edited:
Reactions: Wirenut

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
My MBA is a completely base model early 2014 1.4GHz Core i5 with 4GB of RAM and Intel 5000 graphics.

But it still cost $1,000. Most of that cost is due to its portability, which I NEVER use.

I would hate to have to spend extra money on another laptop that will be connected to a large monitor and never leave the desk, like I did with this MBA. I could have bought a much better Mini for less money, which is what I would love to do right now.

Reactions: BvizioN

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
My MBA is a completely base model early 2014 1.4GHz Core i5 with 4GB of RAM and Intel 5000 graphics.

But it still cost $1,000. Most of that cost is due to its portability, which I NEVER use.

I would hate to have to spend extra money on another laptop that will be connected to a large monitor and never leave the desk, like I did with this MBA. I could have bought a much better Mini for less money, which is what I would love to do right now.

Well the iMac series would be a good choice though that bundles you in with a display. Other than that there's either waiting or hackintosh

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
I am happy with my $400 Asus 2560x1440 monitor. If I was going to change, it might be to one of those curved wider displays. But I have no need for an iMac, especially now that they are so expensive.

My first Mac since the Apple IIgs was a 24" iMac that I loved. But I found that buying a separate 27" monitor and MBA would be cheaper than a new iMac when I was ready to upgrade the 24incher.

Now I would be happy to spend $800 or so on a Mac Mini if one was available.

As for the browser recommendation, I normally use Chrome but I tried Safari and the same thing happened. When things get bright it starts to bog down a bit.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Glmnet1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2017
I looked up wormax and it's a fun little game :D

Another more cost effective option you have is to play the mobile app version of it if you have a tablet or even a phone. Usually native apps are more optimized so you should be able to play it on a less powerful device.

Touch is also a fun input for that kind of game.
[doublepost=1518805372][/doublepost]It's available for iOS and Android.

Wirenut

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
I looked up wormax and it's a fun little game :D

Another more cost effective option you have is to play the mobile app version of it if you have a tablet or even a phone. Usually native apps are more optimized so you should be able to play it on a less powerful device.

Touch is also a fun input for that kind of game.
[doublepost=1518805372][/doublepost]It's available for iOS and Android.
I tried it on my iPad but didn't like it. Playing it on the big monitor with precise mouse control is much better.

What model?

Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009C3M7H0/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.