Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
hi there,

i have an unlocked iphone and have made the common mistake of installing too many apps, therefore i can no longer see the installer.app....

is there a way of resolving this issue without having to do a restore? if not how do i restore, and will i relock/brick my phone? (i'm running 1.0.2)

thanks

ghostshadow777

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
It sounds like a full restore is probably the best option if you've got too much crap on your phone and you can't see Installer. It's so easy to jailbreak, and unlock these days. Did you use iUnlock or AnySim 1.0? If you did, virginize before you restore and upgrade.

When you SSH to your phone, can you see Installer.app in your applications folder?

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
It sounds like a full restore is probably the best option if you've got too much crap on your phone and you can't see Installer. It's so easy to jailbreak, and unlock these days. Did you use iUnlock or AnySim 1.0? If you did, virginize before you restore and upgrade.

When you SSH to your phone, can you see Installer.app in your applications folder?

sorry i don't know how to ssh to the iphone, i bought it unlocked from ebay! if i do this, can't i just delete some of the applications from the iphone then?

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England

how do i virginise?!! i'm really confused here, can someone help?

thanks

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England

ghostshadow777

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2007
so what you are saying is that i have to restore it, and that restoring it through itunes will relock it? Also if it is relocked, can i reunlock it without the at&t sim which i dont have? I want installer back but not if its really difficult!

I am just saying that's what I would do. I don't want to speak for you if you don't have some experience hacking/modding stuff. Yes, restoring will relock the phone so it will have to be unlocked again. You do need a SIM in the phone when you run AnySIM 1.1 though, but doesn't have to be the original ATT sim, it can be a Tmobile sim. Read up on the forums and various iPhone hacking sites, you will know better what to expect and what to do if things gone wrong.

joserpaq

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
easiest way to take care of the problem is to SSH into the phone and deleting applications on the phone in the /applications folder until the installer shows up and then make sure you install summerboard. You should be able to find a SSH gui for windows (i think people use putty) or for mac I use fugu. All you need to do is run the program and enter the ip address of your phone (you can find this on the phone setup screen under wifi and selecting your wifi connection to see what IP address your phone is using) you also need to know what user name and password to use. There are only a couple variations that are used for the hacking programs so a search of the forum should give you a couple of option but I think username of root and password of dottie should work. Once you connect of SSH you will just see the iphones file structure from that point on just look for the applications folders and delete some applications to make space on the screen.

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
easiest way to take care of the problem is to SSH into the phone and deleting applications on the phone in the /applications folder until the installer shows up and then make sure you install summerboard. You should be able to find a SSH gui for windows (i think people use putty) or for mac I use fugu. All you need to do is run the program and enter the ip address of your phone (you can find this on the phone setup screen under wifi and selecting your wifi connection to see what IP address your phone is using) you also need to know what user name and password to use. There are only a couple variations that are used for the hacking programs so a search of the forum should give you a couple of option but I think username of root and password of dottie should work. Once you connect of SSH you will just see the iphones file structure from that point on just look for the applications folders and delete some applications to make space on the screen.

do i need wi-fi for this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.