What to do

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maclust22, May 29, 2008.

1. maclust22 macrumors newbie

I am relatively new to Macs in general other than the basic use I do at work. I think they are outstanding machines an am ready for one of my own after 15 years of PC disappointments. What would you recommend for a user who surfs the internet, downloads, small photo editing, minimal gaming, and video watching. I am very enticed by the size of the MacBook but love the feature IE: multi-touch and backlit keyboard of the MBP. What to do?

2. stekerrod macrumors regular

to be honest it depends on what games you plan on playing as the macbook has an integrated graphics card compared to the one on the MBP. the macbook will probably be an excellent machine for what you need though!

3. maclust22 thread starter macrumors newbie

What to do

I have heard that the MacBook will possible integrate the backlit keyboard and multi-touch on the next update. Ive checked about every Mac site on rumors and all of them seem to contradict one another.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

For those uses an iMac seems reasonable. Do you need a portable computer?

5. stekerrod macrumors regular

yeah the next update is probably going to give it multitouch.....backlit keyboard is usually something apple have reserved for the pro laptops though.

6. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I agree that a MacBook will suffice for your needs, but check out system requirements for the games.

I'd say check them both out in person and get a feel for them, for example the screen size. I currently have a 15" PowerBook and I've thought about a MacBook for the price, but I do like the screen size and specs for the MBP. Also, a feel for the keyboard and trackpad.

7. maclust22 thread starter macrumors newbie

What to do

I have a friend who has a Sony Vaio with a keyboard like the MB and it is a little different to use. I will probably only play Spore when it comes out but other than that nothing. I have been trying to mess around with CS3 as my fiance has gotten into taking alot of photos.

8. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Because you mentioned photography editing I would suggest you explore the capabilities of iPhoto and then Aperture 2.0. It appears that a MB/MBA will suit you 95% of your time.

9. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Macbook already has some Multi-touch features ;

1: Two finger up/down stroke will scroll a page up or down
    2: Two fingers rested on the touchpad and a thumb click on the button will do a right click.