what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by franciscogchin, Oct 14, 2008.

1. franciscogchin macrumors newbie

Ok, so I bought a power mac g4 with like 500mhz processor, idk how much ram but less than 600, and idk what else, for like 85 dollars. I was thinking of upgrading it to a 1ghz processor and 2 gig ram. I already bought a 160gb hard drive. and I bought os x leopard thinking it would work (but it doesnt because of the processor)...and I asked in another forum (mac-forum I think). and they told me that it would be a waste to upgrade it to these specs. and that I would be better off with a mac mini. the mac mini would have 1.8ghz, 1 gig ram, and 80gb hard drive. it would cost 600 which is about how much it would cost to upgrade the g4....what do you guys think?

2. IroquoisPliskin macrumors regular

They are right on part.

The amount of money you would waste on that old G4 could buy you a Mini that would outperform it in every task. The other part is that the Mini is two generations behind in technology and is a very poor value.

If you are any good with a soldering iron you can bump your CPU up to 550mhz for free. Throw a decent HD in there, get the ram up to at least 1gb and return the Leopard disk for a refund if you can.

3. franciscogchin thread starter macrumors newbie