What to Erase before selling?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mrockm01, Jul 26, 2011.

1. mrockm01 macrumors regular

mrockm01

I just got a new mac and am going to sell my old mac. I know how to erase a drive in Disk Utility, just need to know which drive to erase. Do I erase the entire drive "FUJITSU..." or just "Macintosh HD" in the sub menu? I have the snow leopard disk, but just want to make sure I do not erase something that could not be restored.

Thank You

2. Gramp macrumors newbie

Amounts to the same thing when there is only 1 logical volume on the physical hard drive,
    but I think you will find that for Erase it is only the volume Macintosh HD that will have the clickable boxes you need (not greyed out).

I thought Apple was just using Western Digital and Seagate hard drives for the past few years - maybe yours with a Fujitsu HD is a few years old.

After you reinstall Snow Leopard, the machine should be ready for setting up just like the original retail purchase.

The buyer of your machine will have to enter all their identification and location info.

They will need your original install disks that came with the machine for reloading things like iPhoto which are not on the Snow Leopard DVD.

Then they can update those apps. online if they want.

You are doing it the right way - can't understand people who sell (and buy) used machines without them being reinitialized.