Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Apple is opening a new store in north Austin near me (the nearest one is in south Austin and seems like the other side of the world to me). I have never been to a grand opening of an Apple store and may attend this one. Do they have sales or giveaways or what? Will the prices be any different than usual?

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
Free shirts for the first few hundred people or so- be prepared a for a ton of people, chaos, and massive lines- so plan on getting there early if you want one.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
A t-shirt doesn't interest me in the least. Whenever Best Buy or Conns or most any store has a Grand Opening it means a sale. What is the use of a Grand opening otherwise?

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
A t-shirt doesn't interest me in the least. Whenever Best Buy or Conns or most any store has a Grand Opening it means a sale. What is the use of a Grand opening otherwise?
Mac- adicts will go just for the opening.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005

It's pretty fun, actually. I've been to 2 (would've been 3, but we got kicked off the property at 2 am for the last one), and they're really fun! Sittin' with other nerds, discussing Mac-tastic things. Everyone in line is a Mac Addict-- it's like real-time MacRumors!

..I'm actually driving up from Houston to go to the opening. It'll be fun !:)

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
It's pretty fun, actually. I've been to 2 (would've been 3, but we got kicked off the property at 2 am for the last one), and they're really fun! Sittin' with other nerds, discussing Mac-tastic things. Everyone in line is a Mac Addict-- it's like real-time MacRumors!

How did you manage to get kicked out? Did you start chanting anti-m$ things and caused the nerds to get too rowdy? :confused: :D

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
What is the use of a Grand opening otherwise?
Publicity. You'll probably be surprised how much free press Apple will get in your local media over this.

It's also a celebration for the Apple store employees that have been training for the last umpteen weeks.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
How did you manage to get kicked out? Did you start chanting anti-m$ things and caused the nerds to get too rowdy? :confused: :D

No, it was the First Colony mall opening and my friend and I were determined to be first in line.
So, we got to the mall at 2 am, no big deal.. people have done it before for other openings.

but the hire-a-cops didn't really know what happens at an apple store opening. They didn't want people lining up. They told us to leave. We tried to explain that that's what happens at an opening,I even showed him pictures from the other 2 openings I've been to, but he would have none of it.
So, my friend and I got disheartened and left. I later talked to the guy who was first in line. I told him what time we got there, and he said that we would've beat him. *scowls*

I went later in the day, around noon, and one of the clerks saved a shirt for me. She'd heard about how people got kicked off the property at 2 and just assumed it was me. :eek:

Jasonbot

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2006
The Rainbow Nation RSA
I was first in line @ some apple store opening. All I got was an outdated 2Gb 1G nano. They couldn't even give me a new one :( I also stood a chance of winning a 50% disount on my purchase to the value of Equivalent $650. never got that, it was all in the draw :( But still It was fun and luckily there was no camping involved :D

danny_w

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA

Sorry, I'm just not into that sort of thing anymore. I probably would have thought it was fun when I was 20 or so. Guess I'll just skip it then.

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
Sorry, I'm just not into that sort of thing anymore. I probably would have thought it was fun when I was 20 or so. Guess I'll just skip it then.

So you mean to say, when I get older I'm not going to stay up half the night (or get up early early early in the morning) to celebrate an Apple Store opening near me?

Crap- getting old must suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.