Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tranceking26

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2013
Will be interesting to see what is featured. I hope iOS 14 at least has one killer feature but I understand the need for stability.

Reactions: Jxdawg

Justanotherfanboy

Suspended
Jul 3, 2018
I am torn with this news.

I am currently using a Late 2012 iMac with the i7 and 680MX. I thought I would have replaced it by now with the 2015 or 2017, but my 2012 iMac is still really fast and running great.

I wasn't going to upgrade to the 2019 iMac, but I am worried with the direction Apple is going with things, with soldered RAM, Storage, restrictions of the T2 chip, and the general locking down on things, I wonder if I should hurry and just get a BTO 2019 now with how I want it customized before it is too late.
Do you mind listing all the hardware updates that you did DYI on your 2012 iMac that has you so worried?
No offense- but I’m kinda presupposing that the answer is “none whatsoever”.

Reactions: ifxf and chinito77

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
I really hope the ARM Mac rumor proves to be false. I'm going to miss being able to run all kinds of x86 VMs on my Mac and it's going to suck to need a second computer for that.

Sorry, exact opposite here. I have my cash ready to pre-order a nice ARM Mac Mini to replace my 2014. Get rid of Intel and it’s insecure, dead end architecture. Intel has been stuck since 2016 now. That’s longer than Apple stayed with the unscalable G5.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

iCloud Keychain

iCloud Keychain will include warnings whenever a password is reused in iOS 14, which should help encourage users to select different passwords for each site and service.

icloud-keychain.jpeg

iOS 13 already does exactly this. On a bunch of one time use sites that I don't care about, I don't bother setting up any real security and have used the same password for each one. KeyChain has warned me that it's reused over 108 times (lol). It also tells me that it contains a common word.

IMG_1078.jpg

Another nifty feature is that it blanks out the password automatically when I screenshot it.

P.S. Any of you having any thoughts of figuring out my st*tty password to hack me, I've moved almost entirely to Sign In With Apple. ?

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I have a hate-love relationship with Apple since the loss of Steve Jobs. Of all the gadgets and software listed in this article, I'm hopeful for the refreshed AppleTV. Everything else is a bit lackluster, in my opinion. Apple seems to be engrossed with the Air Tag, which looks pretty cool, but I'd rather see a return of the famed Airport Extreme.

On the software side, I hope they iron out some of the existing problems before adding new features. Maybe they could figure out a way to allow my AirPods to unlink from my Mac and re-link to my iPhone dynamically, or if I can dream, send Siri back to school to learn history and grammar. ✌

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
I'd like to hear that AAPL has Kicked Off work on a 2nd iOS App Store, "one for Adults" that does NOT include ANY Game Apps & does NOT include Apple Arcade !

And of course, NO Little Kids apps !

If that doesn't happen, I'd like to see AAPL add "Filters" to the iOS App Store App section of the Settings app:

[specifically, three switches]

1.) NO Game Apps

2.) NO Apple Arcade

3.) NO Little Kid Apps
I don’t think you understand how the bulk of revenue from the App Store is from games. You act as if the App Store is a place for “professionals”. We all know how that Went for Microsoft’s store and some may say the current Mac App Store
[automerge]1592605342[/automerge]
How much time are they going to spend on AR that 1% of their base uses?
There was a time when hardly anyone owned an iPod. Don’t be narrowed minded, they see something the rest of us don’t.

FlavorfulTreat

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2019
I am torn with this news.

I am currently using a Late 2012 iMac with the i7 and 680MX. I thought I would have replaced it by now with the 2015 or 2017, but my 2012 iMac is still really fast and running great.

I wasn't going to upgrade to the 2019 iMac, but I am worried with the direction Apple is going with things, with soldered RAM, Storage, restrictions of the T2 chip, and the general locking down on things, I wonder if I should hurry and just get a BTO 2019 now with how I want it customized before it is too late.

You make excellent points. I would just be ready to order a BTO unit on Monday if they do go to soldered RAM. I'm in a similar boat with my mid-2011 iMac. It's still running great for what I need.

But I really want an upgrade if it isn't total *****

Reactions: amartinez1660

cire1244

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
It seems highly likely that we'll see a new Apple TV. Jon Prosser (who I find annoying but has had a pretty solid track record) suggested that it has been ready to go for the last couple months or more. It might not be a significant update, but a welcome one considering that the current version is almost 3 years old!

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Do you mind listing all the hardware updates that you did DYI on your 2012 iMac that has you so worried?
I have been doing many HW upgrades or replacements and mods to my Mac for many years now, starting back in the 90's.

I have posted about things I have done on MR many times. Some of the things that come to mind replacing RAM, VRAM, HDDs, SSDs, GPUs, power supplies, batteries, ODDs, etc.

I recently posted about doing the GPU bake on the Mid 2011 iMac.

On my Late 2012 iMac, the day it arrived my house, I installed 16GB of RAM for a total of 24GB. It is nice to know that I can go even higher if I wanted to. The same cannot be said of a lot of other Macs.

The HDD of the 1TB Fusion Drive went dead in 2015 and that was replaced, I posted about that when it happened. As SSDs get cheaper, I may upgrade it one more time. If it was soldered, I wouldn't have that option.

I often boot from external drives and other Macs. I am currently booting from the Samsung X5 drive. With the T2 chip, booting from external boot drives and network boot drives harder.

Like I said, a lot of stuff is getting locked down on Macs, and I am unsure if I like the direction that the Mac line is heading it.

But again, maybe the new iMac if/when if comes out, I might like it, which is why I am unsure.
No offense- but I’m kinda presupposing that the answer is “none whatsoever”.
What a silly thing to presuppose.

Last edited:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
I hope 4K YouTube videos across macOS and iOS/iPadOS is included in the new software versions. The fact that I can't watch the video included in the post above in 4K running on native Safari on macOS is ridiculous. Yes, I know I can use Firefox or Chrome, but that's not the point.
Unless you take a screenshot and zoom in you're not going to notice 4K on a mobile device. The human eye won't notice the difference when the pixel density is higher than 326ppi (on a mobile device). On desktop with a large display 4K it's worth it, but on these devices it's not worth the 30% battery hit.

gene731

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2015
I’ll personally be glad if they get rid of that hideous ATV remote. Loved the ATV3 remote and still use one with my 17” MacBook Pro 2011. With Beamer and ATV3 I never had issues with episodes playing but upgrading to latest ATV4 there is something weird happening with Beamer. The episode will play out on my tv then get the spinning cog wheel of death, have to go to MacPro and look at Beamer and it only shows like 1/3 of the episode has played. So only thing to do is shut Beamer down and restart it and if I’m lucky may go through 3-4 episodes before it happens again. Never happened with ATV3

Reactions: RandomDSdevel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.