What to expect from a quiet update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Peter Harrison, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Peter Harrison macrumors 6502a

Peter Harrison

Surely we won't see a redesigned iMac for quite a while, most likely next year. But if Apple do a quiet update this year (some people are thinking it might be in line with the Mountain Line release), then what exactly do you think will get updated? Similar to the MBA's update at WWDC?

2. leman macrumors 604

There are literary 100 threads on it. In a nutshell: Ivy Bridge CPUs, USB3 and faster graphics.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's been a point of a lot of speculation here in recent weeks, but I think we will see a bump...Maybe a better GPU and larger SSD's.

Some say that a Retina screen may be in the pipeline, but I doubt this...Something that major would almost certainly have been revealed at the WWDC.

4. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Even a spec bump at this point needs more fanfare than a quiet update. The so called 'update' to the MacPro that occurred with the MacBook Pro refresh wasn't really an update at all. Apple was forced to replace the CPU's in the aging Mac Pro line due to the fact that the processor was so old, and had been out of production for so long, that THERE WEREN'T ANY LEFT.

If we see a silent refresh to the iMac line, it will probably be something similiar to this, with incredibly modest tweaks to maintain production in light of diminished supply of aging tech.

No silent refresh. Fanfare! Huzzah! Ivy Bridge! 7970M/680M GPU! USB3!

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:) I'm hoping for your fanfare then! I'm not in the market fro a new iMac....My next stop will be a Pro (if they ever do get refreshed properly) but a buddy of mine is itching to buy...I've tol him to hold off until ML. Fingers crossed.