Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has yet to release the first beta of iOS 17.5 for the iPhone, but two changes are already expected with the upcoming software update.

iOS-17.5-Feature-Orange.jpg

iOS 17.5 will likely allow iPhone users in the EU to download apps directly from the websites of eligible developers, and the update might include some changes to how Apple ID recovery contacts work. More details about these potential changes follow.

Web Distribution

apple-ios-app-store-safari-changes.jpeg

Apple recently announced that eligible developers will soon be able to distribute their iOS apps to EU users directly from a website they own. Apple said this new "Web Distribution" feature will be available starting "later this spring" with an upcoming software update for the iPhone, which presumably refers to iOS 17.5.

"Web Distribution" will be limited to larger developers based in the EU. To qualify for this distribution method, Apple says the developer must be a member of the Apple Developer Program for two continuous years or more, and have an app that had more than one million annual installs on iOS in the EU in the prior calendar year.

"Web Distribution" builds upon the alternative app marketplaces that Apple already allows on the iPhone in the EU starting with iOS 17.4. Apple has made these app-related changes to comply with the EU's Digital Markets Act.

Apple ID Recovery Contact Changes

Recovery-Contact-Feature.jpg

iOS 17.5 may include some changes to Apple ID recovery contacts, according to known tipster Nicolás Álvarez. However, he did not share any specific details, and he said there is a chance that the changes would not be visible to users.

Setting up recovery contacts for your Apple ID can help to ensure that you always have access to your account, even if you forget the password or a linked device's passcode.
Timing

iOS 17.5 will likely be released to the public before the end of May.

In a social media post last week, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said Apple would finish internal development of the first beta of iOS 17.5 this week. However, it is unclear if that means the first beta will be released this week or later.

Article Link: What to Expect From iOS 17.5

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
"Web Distribution" will be limited to larger developers based in the EU. To qualify for this distribution method, Apple says the developer must be a member of the Apple Developer Program for two continuous years or more, and have an app that had more than one million annual installs on iOS in the EU in the prior calendar year.

I do not understand how this could possibly work. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Let’s take Spotify for example, that meet Apple criteria. Most people looking for it will search straight on Apple’s AppStore, rather than head to Spotify’s website.

If we are talking about something not accepted at AppStore (e.g. BitTorrent clients), how will these developers manage to meet Apple conditions in the first place, as the only way to be installed on iOS device during the last year would be via the AppStore?

misterpip

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2011
Wishcasting:
iPadOS 17.5 - iPad runs macOS when docked with the unreleased keyboard accessory, but runs iPadOS when used as a tablet.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Those requirements are arbitrary not technical, they don't need to exist. They don't exist on MacOS.

And by "day one" I mean back in 2008 on iOS 2.
The simplicity of the App Store model was incredible back in 2008.

The world was a different place, the generally public wasn’t as tech savvy as they are now and software distribution was entirely different. Not to mention all the benefits in enterprise that came with MDM and VPP through the App Store.

Very backwards looking take.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Apple has yet to release the first beta of iOS 17.5 for the iPhone, but two changes are already expected with the upcoming software update.
Well we know it’s coming soon since a build has been leaked. (21F5048f) There are some other possible features coming also.

Some possible iOS 17.5 rumors from geeky gadget
  • iOS 17.5 is set to introduce a Game Mode, specifically tailored to the iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max models
  • SharePlay, a feature that initially made a brief appearance before being pulled back, is poised for a return in iOS 17.5. This update aims to broaden the feature’s capabilities, allowing users to share control over music not just in their cars but extending it to the HomePod and Apple TV.
  • A new feature will enable users to effortlessly transfer playlists and music from other services directly into Apple Music.
  • iOS 17.5 plans to bring back the stopwatch live activity feature for both Dynamic Island and the lock screen. This feature, which had a brief stint in a previous beta version.

Reactions: RBJ1954

TJFDenver

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2024
17.4.x broke the TCP/IP/Cellular stack switching ... going from wifi to cellular is once again a problem.

dont touch the stack!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
If it has bug and security fixes, then it's worth it. We don't need new features every single update. It seems like you have a obsession with updating your iPhone instead of discovering the good features it offers you.
I'm not obsessed with updating, but I also don't want to waste the time to do so for basically zero new features. I never come across bugs in iOS, so that part does nothing for me either.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
The simplicity of the App Store model was incredible back in 2008.

The world was a different place, the generally public wasn’t as tech savvy as they are now and software distribution was entirely different. Not to mention all the benefits in enterprise that came with MDM and VPP through the App Store.

Very backwards looking take.
It was fun because it was novel, but it never grew out of its limitations. It's had 16 years, and I repeat again, they still treat digital software products like music singles. They are not the same. Van Halen doesn't need to re-issue Panama every fall to allow consumers to continue to listen to it.

They've patched over handfuls of issues by forcing developers to force users into perpetual subscriptions.

The App Store set the whole industry back, as both Microsoft and Google have copied this model, and it undid a lot of the mid-2000's progress that'd been made in normalizing open source software, largely by web developers.

As for the public being more tech savvy, that's false. I'm not sure you understand what's gone on in UX since then. It's a paradigm called "Don't make me think." People expect one-click buttons to handle all complexities for them. They're not more savvy, product managers and UX designers have gotten better at babying users from complexities.

As for MDM and such, you maybe just aren't familiar with legacy network administration. Same stuff was always done using ActiveDirectory and Group Policy. Microsoft had a bunch of other enterprise geared technologies, like ClickOnce, too.

It shocks me how many people on here can't see what's happened and the dysfunction they're living under.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Not expecting to see many changes. Will be mainly fixing any remaining bugs left. Expecting to see public release in May

Jay Bly

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2020
Well we know it’s coming soon since a build has been leaked. (21F5048f) There are some other possible features coming also.

Some possible iOS 17.5 rumors from geeky gadget
  • iOS 17.5 is set to introduce a Game Mode, specifically tailored to the iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max models
  • SharePlay, a feature that initially made a brief appearance before being pulled back, is poised for a return in iOS 17.5. This update aims to broaden the feature’s capabilities, allowing users to share control over music not just in their cars but extending it to the HomePod and Apple TV.
  • A new feature will enable users to effortlessly transfer playlists and music from other services directly into Apple Music.
  • iOS 17.5 plans to bring back the stopwatch live activity feature for both Dynamic Island and the lock screen. This feature, which had a brief stint in a previous beta version.
I think the idea of easily transferring playlist from different sources is a good idea for them. Look forward to that. Hope the beta comes out on Tuesday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.