What to expect from rMacbook Pro (2013)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nlr, Jul 19, 2012.

1. nlr macrumors 6502

What would you like to see from the Retina MacBook Pro in 2013 and what do you think we will get?

I would like to see:

Better CPU
    Better GPU (hopefully the best m GPU at the time)
    Better Battery
    1080p Camera
    More Retina compatible apps
    13 inch option
    No UI Lag

What I think apple will give us:

Better CPU
    Better GPU
    13 inch option
    More Retina compatible apps
    Same camera
    Same battery

2. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

See bolded

3. Slivortal macrumors 6502

I predict the same thing as you do. Except the CPU change to Haswell will be completely underwhelming - ironically, it will mean a larger battery life more than anything (Haswell's claim to fame is power efficiency). Don't expect performance skyrockets until Intel implements their MCM chipset (chipsets are what separate Core/Core2/Core i-series). Until then, I'd say about a 12-15% performance boot (practically unnoticeable at a UI level). Battery life could reach 8 or 9 hours if Intel is to be believed.

As for the graphics card, I don't know how much better the 750 will be than the 650, but expect it nonetheless - could be a gamechanger, could not.

UI lag and retinized apps are software changes, and I hope we'd see them far before next summer.

4. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. What would you like to see?

5. psykick5 macrumors 6502

I'll probably update with Haswell anyway due to it being a tock... Intel's tocks have been insane lately

6. Slivortal macrumors 6502

Howso? Don't expect huge changes from tick/tock upgrades as much as from chipset arch changes. Intel's ticks and tocks have become similar enough to almost not matter anymore.

7. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

A retina photo of Steve.

What we will likely get, people whining about the same stuff this year, next year.

8. beamer8912 macrumors 65816

I think you were pretty close with your estimate.

It isn't along the lines of hardware changes, but I think we'll see price drops. Possibly in the base price, but also in the BTO options. SSD prices will come down, and the RAM standard will increase.

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I would like to get my current rMBP before thinking about what should be in the next one.

10. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Identical body, including screen, camera and ports.
    Same battery, speakers and fans.

Haswell Quad i7 CPU
    Intel HD 5000 iGPU
    Some new generation dedicated GPU
    Same RAM configurations
    Either more storage for the same price or lower prices for same storage

Most of it is pretty obvious, however the big question for me is Will it get 802.11ac?

11. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I would like to get my current rMBP before thinking about what should be in the next one.

12. nlr thread starter macrumors 6502

what differences would it make from current wifi chipset?

13. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Around double the wireless transfer speed of 802.11n at average distance and greater range. It would be useful for NAS given the limited capacity and high price of internal storage for the rMBP.

[​IMG]

Actual data rate will also probably improve as they perfect the technology, 802.11ac theoretically could go upwards of 1Gbps.

14. natsuo, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012

natsuo macrumors newbie

802.11ac is a big reason I have been holding out on rMPB 2012 until now. (and still trembling trying to hold on to my wallet after seeing/playing with an actual rMBP at the store)

As Apple is (or at least was when Jobs's era) considering to be a wireless enthusiast, it should have launched 802.11ac with MBP/rMBP 2012. Now that Broadcom chipset is ready, so technology wise and supply are not the reason. They may want to ready their products like TimeCapsule/Airport first.

Other network device and notebook vendors are launching their 802.11ac products one after another RIGHT NOW. (D-Link, Cisco-Linksys, Buffalos, Asus, etc. are out).

How about DDR4 operating at 1.2v or less, running at least 2133 MHz? (while DDR3L operating at 1.35v) http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/26647-intel-to-introduce-ddr4-memory-with-haswell-ex-server-platform