What to expect from shopping Refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BlueXIII, Jun 26, 2014.

1. BlueXIII macrumors newbie

Hi Friends,

What should I expect if I decide to shop on the Apple Refurb for a late 2013 rMBP? I really want the top end 15" and would like to save money, but this is also my first macbook. I don't want to get a machine that is already going to have any wear and tear/scratches in the exterior, etc in it.

What say you? Good experience or bad to go refurb?

----------

Well, maybe not. Looks like refurb on that model only saves you $200.

2. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

From my experience, you'd never know the difference.

By top end do you mean the model with discrete graphics? Or do you mean the model with discrete +16GB/1TB?

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The odds of you getting a refurbished machine with any cosmetic flaw is extremely small. Essentially, the only thing you're not getting with a refurb that would would with a new machine is the fancy white box.

4. nightlong macrumors 6502a

nightlong

I've bought 2ipads from refurb and my iPhone 5 was replaced after a year by Apple with a refurb. All perfect.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Apple refurbished products are considered by most to be a very good deal, as they're pretty much like buying a new Mac, except for the box.
    Click the link in that quote for more details on the refurbishment process.
    • Apple Certified Refurbished Products are available online from the Apple Refurb Store and are not sold in local Apple stores
    • Educational discounts do not apply to refurb products.
    • Refurb products come with the same warranty as new products, and qualify for AppleCare
    • Refurb products have a changed serial number that identifies them as refurbished
    • Refurb products come with whatever OS version and software they originally shipped with as new
    • Refurb products come with the same items in the box as new products, only the box is a plain one, not the new box.
    • A refurb product could have some cosmetic signs of prior use, but rarely do
    • A refurb Mac notebook may have some cycles on the battery, but not a significant enough amount to affect usable life
    • The refurb store inventory changes frequently, sometimes several times a day, and doesn't have any direct relation to upcoming product releases. What's available in the refurb store is determined by what has been returned to Apple.
    • If you're looking for a particular item, refurb.me can alert you when it becomes available.

6. BlueXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

2.3 Ghz/16GB/512

7. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

You won't be able to tell the difference between a refurb and a new model except for the money you save.

8. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

I couldn't have said it better, I am typing this on my refurbished mid 2012 15" rMBP. It will be a year in August since I've owned it and it has been perfect, I have had absolutely no issues with it. It arrived in pristine condition absolutely NO dents,scratches or marks on it. The display is also perfect as well, no ghosting, yellow tint etc. Buying refurbished saved myself $600 and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I just recently put an OWC 480GB SSD in my machine with no issues as well. As someone who owns a refurbed 15" rMBP I would highly recommend buying a refurbished unit, literally the only difference is you don't get the original box, but depending on which model you buy, you will save hundreds.

9. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

You just won't get the box. And you can buy one of those on eBay for $25 if you really want to.

10. GhettoMrBob macrumors regular

That model is currently $400 off. That's, IMO, worth going for the refurbished.

11. EstebanLGJ macrumors newbie

EstebanLGJ

Go for Refurbished

I got a refurbished Macbook Pro back in 2010 and it was totally fine. I was able to get the high end 13' for a lower price, which I would say has helped me have a computer that lasts a little longer. Through out the years I've upgraded RAM and SSD so it works even better than when I bought it. Considering I've had no problems with it, I would say that refurbished is a good option. I will probably get a refurbished retina soon. Very recommendable.

12. BlueXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

I can get edu discount, so its only $200 for me. Still not sure if I want to save that extra $200, I'm always hesitant to buy used (especially because this is my first mac).

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since they carry the very same warranty as a new one, what does it matter? You'll get taken care of the same way you would've if you'd bought new.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Based on the countless reports from refurb buyers in this forum and elsewhere, chances are very slim that you won't be completely satisfied with a refurb. In fact, the chances of getting a good refurb is probably better than getting a good new model, since refurb models go through extra scrutiny before being offered for sale. In many cases, a refurb model was never opened by the original buyer, but was returned for other reasons. And, as snaky69 mentioned, you're protected by warranty, just as you would be buying new. You can also return a refurb with no questions asked if it doesn't meet your expectations when you first open it.

15. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

The 2.3/16/512 is $2,599 and the same model is only $2,199 in the refurb store.
    A $400 saving.

Barney

16. pacmania1982 macrumors 6502a

pacmania1982

I just bought a 15" rMBP - entry level quad Core i7 2.0 GHz with 256GB SSD and 8GB RAM for $1699. You wouldn't be able to tell that it is a refurb, as its perfect.

A couple of years back I bought a dual Core i5 2.5GHz with 500GB hard drive and 4GB RAM. Again, it was in perfect condition. I paid $519 for it.

The only thing you don't get is a retail box.

Sometimes you get a bonus. A friend of mine bought a Mac Pro (6 core) and got 12GB RAM instead of 6GB that was advertised. You might get lucky ;)

I would highly recommend refurbs

pac

17. BlueXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

I can get the edu discount, so its only 200$ beyond that.

18. gtanner00 macrumors member

Do you get the full ilife and iWork suite? Is it guaranteed to not come in an original box and what does it cone in? Lastly, does it take considerably longer for refurb units to ship than brand new ones?

19. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Same software as a new Mac.

Sometimes the come in an original box with "Refurbished" stickers on it, other times they come in a brown box that says "Apple Refurbished"

If they're in stock, they ship right away. If they're not, you can't order them.

20. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

21. 12dylan34 macrumors 6502a

Well then you're literally paying $200 for the box, and any sort of psychological barrier to the machine not technically being "new."

If you watch refurb unboxing videos on YouTube, they're all in perfect condition, and come in the original plastic wrap, along with new accessories, Apple stickers, and all of that. In the small chance that it has some sort of flaw, just return it and buy another one.

And if you really want a box, you can buy one for $25 on eBay.

22. mobilebuddha macrumors regular

1) if you are talking about iPhoto, iMovie, yes. it also comes with pages, numbers, keynote (at least i think you were able to get it for free or something like that)

2) brown box (who cares about the box? the device is new, my 15' MBP had 1 battery cycle), a friend of mine that got the same computer (but brand new) as me at about the same time and neither one of us couldn't tell the diff.

3) no, at least not for me. took 3 days from order to delivery.

23. CASLondon macrumors 6502a

Not only are the refurbs indistinguisable from non-refurb, but you can be sure its been tested with apple hardware tests, etc, before it goes out the door.

here's a good resource for looking at purchase options and price comparisons.

http://www.macprices.net/macbookpro.shtml

----------

Did you see that option in stock? When I look, its listed as an option but "out of stock". Yet it shows the option to ship to store for pick-up, but not to click through, so I can't see that is actually available.

24. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

It was in stock when I posted.

Barney

25. BlueXIII thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you get the 100$ gift card w/ the back to school promotion while shopping refurb?