iPad What to expect from the iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gusping, Jun 1, 2014.

1. gusping macrumors 6502

Hi,

We've heard little in the way of rumours regarding the new iPad apart from the touch ID sensor. Below is a list of what i think will be in the next iPad.

1) A8 processor (most likely dual core)
    2) Touch ID sensor
    3) 1GB Ram
    4) 8MP camera (same as the current 5S camera maybe)

Anything else i've missed?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I hope they do stick with just 1GB of RAM and optimize safari. Then, we will have lots of threads about "I told ya so". :)

3. AlabamaSlammer macrumors 6502

AlabamaSlammer

If the rumor about multitasking in iOS 8 is true I would think that maybe Apple would need to put 2gb ram to handle it.

4. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

If budget/ margin constrained, I hope that Apple would trade the camera upgrade for something else - like RAM or storage.

5. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Would be logical to give the iPad a Flash on the back.

Think about this logically for a moment.

A phone you take with you all the time, often being used outdoors a LOT as well as at home as its so light, small and portable you have it with you when you go out all the time.

The iPad is of course portable, but no as much as the phone and less lightly to be always carried around outside as much.

The iPad is of course, more an indoors device on average, the thing you use in the office, and of course at evening at home.

Therefore, on average you are more lightly to take a quick snap in indoor or evening times with an iPad than you are in bright sunlight with an iPad.

To me, the iPad is even more in need of a flash than even a iPhone due to this.

iPad used more indoors and at evenings, and yet is has no flash.

Does not make sense huh?

6. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Have owned three iPads. Don't think I ever used the camera on the back.

7. cynics macrumors G4

Even if Safari can be optimized so tabs never reload regardless of RAM only wanting 1gb is not something anyone should hope for. If nothing else more RAM means apps can stay in a suspended state longer before being forced to close to make room for foreground apps.

8. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Indeed, and that's what good, Everyone has different uses for different products.
    The thing is to build in enough options so that it allows people who want different things to enjoy a product in slightly different ways.

Just because perhaps "I" want item A but not item B. does not mean item B should not be there as you, a different person may enjoy item B.

We have to be practical of course and not fit a million options.

Given that a flash has been used along side cameras since they were invented, with old wooden camera's on tripods, and a man under a black cloth holding a tray of flash powder.
    I think we can agree that fundamentally a Flash goes along side a Camera.

Likewise, on the practicality front we have space, is there enough space to fit it without compromising the device?
    I think we can all assume that would be a yes in something the size of an iPad (esp when it can fit in an iPhone fine)

Then we have Cost. If it were to add a major cost to the item again we may question the addition.

You are probably looking at around 1 or 2 dollars for the cost to Apple.

Myself, I think that would be worth it, to promote the iPad's camera as an even more worthwhile feature.

Especially as Apple have just done an advert showing it's use as a camera throughout the advert.

9. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

I would imagine the next iPad iteration would need to have something that takes advantage of something new in iOS 8 - whatever you want to speculate what that could be.

Otherwise, what's been mentioned as possible features won't get a whole lot of people rushing to upgrade. A flash is long overdue as well better imaging software right out of the box for something as large as an iPad.

10. hologram macrumors 6502

I have a Mac, and I've never used Mission Control.

That doesn't mean nobody else does.:p

11. mangomind macrumors 6502a

mangomind

Yes, I think the introduction of side-by-side multitasking could coincide with a 2GB iPad. The latest speculation is that iOS 8.1 or 8.2 might bring side-by-side apps. One option is that Apple keeps 1GB RAM in the 2014 models, releases an iPad pro in spring 2015 with iOS 8.2 and 2GB RAM, and puts 2GB RAM in the 2015 models.

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

You're right, was just being a smart aleck due to the 24,766 threads about the lack of RAM. It's good. They should and will up it in the next gen Air.

13. TacticalDesire macrumors 68020

TacticalDesire

14. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

There is a possibility of maybe a health sensor, depends where the whole health kit goes

15. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Butt Plug body probe with a lightning connector ?

iButt ?

iAnus?

iSole?

16. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

hypochondriac's dream come true!

17. irnchriz macrumors 65816

irnchriz

A8 Processor
    Laminated display (like the iPhone)
    Touch ID
    Possibly a little more battery life but I expect they will stick to the 10 hrs etc

18. thislsmadness macrumors newbie

Things I'd like to see:

Hardware:
    More RAM
    Touch ID
    Louder Speakers
    Co processor that allows always active "Hey Siri"

Software:
    Side by Side multitasking.

Also, since I want to make the jump to 64GB, I'm hoping they finally get rid of the 16GB model and drop the price a hundred bucks on all the others.

19. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I have a hunch that Apple will focus an HealthNet and leave the hardware to other manufacturers. That would be the best COA, I think.

20. Cooee! macrumors member

Cooee!

I want the front facing camera to be as good as the back camera today, and upgrade the back camera.