Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switchr92

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
I just got an iBook, and I have between 50-100$ left (not including RAM money, which i've already considered). What is a good investment to make it more of a joy to use?
NOTE: I already have a laptop backpack.

DeSnousa

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2005
Brisbane, Australia
Max at your ram, you will get a better computer experience. Apart from that just enjoy your iBook there great fun. Later down the track you will know what to do with the spare cash, such as paying for some great apps that developers make and some games :cool:

Edit: iCurve's are nice if you use the iBook at home alot, i got one today and its great.

Zman5225

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2005
Tacoma WA
I got a podiumpad today from the Apple store. I was going down there to buy a iCurve but the guy showed me the podiumpad in addition to the iCurve and I just really liked the podiumpad better. It was like $29 bucks or so but it's great. You can buy it from the Apple store or http://www.roadtools.com. It has a swivel, adjustable feet so you can raise or lower the height of the pad, and good airflow below the pad plus it hides the wires better then the iCurve did.

Not only that, but I already have 2 comps on my desk, and I want to use my iBook on the desk also, and with the iCurve, you're pretty much forced to buy a keyboard to use with it. With the podiumpad you can just get an external mouse and call it good. Which I got the mighty mouse today (love it!)

If I were you, i'd look into getting a sleeve as well. It might help keep some of those scratches off your iBook when it's sitting in your bag bouncing around.

Jack

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I know you said don't mention RAM, but it's seriously the best thing you can do for a Mac. Nevertheless, some nice speakers probably wouldn't do any harm, assuming you've already bought a pretty wireless mouse. :)

How about some cool software too? How much is iWork going for these days?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
i'm going to echo some other posters... RAM RAM RAM RAM RAM

or...
  • an iPod shuffle (refurbed ones are cheap)
  • a decent set of speakers (the creature ones from harmon kardon are around $100 now)
  • good set of headphones (sennheiser has a few excellent ones in this range, maybe a cheap pair of shure's)

switchr92

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
RAM, I know

Guys, I know all about the need for RAM, and I fully plan on getting another 512 stick. Even AFTER I get it, I will have 50-100 dollars. What should I do with THAT money?

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
gwuMACaddict said:
[*]a decent set of speakers (the creature ones from harmon kardon are around $100 now)

[/list]

creature speakers are made by jbl not harmon kardon :eek:

i got creatures for my ibook and love them

ram always works too
:rolleyes:

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
I love people who talk about souping up the RAM as the first thing to do. How about protecting your (abiet depreciating) investment? That seems like the first priority to me.

#1 Get a nice case
#2 Get a generic set of PDA screen protectors. Lay two on the palm rests, one on each side of the mousepad, to prevent that area from looking like **** six months down the road
#3 Get a Radtech screensaver
#4 Get the ProTouch PB keyboard overlay to prevent **** from getting underneath
#5 Get iKlear to keep it looking new

bodeh6

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
I recommend getting a good case. For my 14" iBook that I just go I got the Samsonite L35 and love it. Also buy a good cleaning solution with microfiber cloth. I got the Clean Dr. 9oz with Microfiber cloth for $14.99 from Staples. Like iKlear, it is ammonia and alcohol free and it is cheaper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.