What to get instead of new Mac Pro 12 Core

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by djmclaughlin7, Jun 26, 2012.

  1. djmclaughlin7 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2012
    #1
    So I was just about to upgrade to MP 12 Core and then Apple went and did what they did. Everyone is saying not to waste the money for that machine, and to wait until 2013 for an actual "New" MP to come out. In the interim, I desperately need something new. My 2009 MP 8 core just can't handle my HD Video workflow anymore.
    I've been advised to look at the Imac instead, with the additional RAM option.
    So is this the way to go? While I wait for Apple to do a proper upgrade on the MP?
    I am a full time self-employed editor, I need to be able to run multiple programs at the same time, I.E. Premiere, After Effects, Audition, Photoshop, and Web browsing.
     
  2. Buffsteria macrumors regular

    Buffsteria

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2012
    #2
    If I had the money I'd order it today. I don't really care about the refresh because it would be better than our 2009 iMac anyway. We bought an i5 iMac and it was returned four days later. It was so slow and laggy and we both hated Lion so my husband went back to the 2009 and I went back to my Hackintosh. But I need a "work only" computer and with my Hackintosh it's too easy to get distracted. And we both could use the power.
     
  3. derbothaus macrumors 601

    derbothaus

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    #3
    If you need it, buy it. Don't suffer for 10-20% increase of processing power. Not even sure what will drop in 2013. New Mac Pro? xMac? Don't bet on any future product. You'll just get filled with vitriol and spooge it all over macrumers forums.
     
  4. thefredelement macrumors 65816

    thefredelement

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2012
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    You can upgrade your 4,1 to a 5,1 - just buy the CPUs, 1333Mhz RAM and flash the firmware.
     
  5. LoveAppl macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2012
    #5
    Dgaging Tim Cook's words there are coming really something more then specs bump with a new Mac Pro in 2013 so if I could I would wait but if unfortionaly u need something now, well...
     
  6. wallysb01 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    #6
    An iMac seems like a really bad idea if your 2009 8 core can't cut it anymore. Even if you had both machines, the iMac is just a lot of money when you maybe just need any box to off load some projects to. I'd suggest buying a Mac Mini to take some burden off your current Mac Pro, rather than an iMac. It is less computing power, but you're not paying for a display that you probably don't need. It would also still make a nice complement to a 2013 Mac Pro, should it ever come about. The only word of caution on this is that the Mac Mini could be updated before the end of summer.

    Other than that, I'd suggest trying to self-upgrade your current Mac Pro to a 12 core. If you depend on you machine for a living however, I can understand the reluctance to do that. And if so, just buy what you need. Right now the sweet spot at the Apple store seems to be a refurb 2.66 12 core. Its only about $500 more than the "new" 2.4 12 core. So, might as well go for it if you need it.
     
  7. DJenkins macrumors 6502

    DJenkins

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2012
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #7
    It would be a waste to get a new imac if you haven't pushed your '09 MP to it's full potential.

    Adding a SSD system drive, more RAM, better graphics card and switching to a small external RAID would get you better performance than a top of the line imac for a lot less cost.

    If you went a step further and did a processor & firmware upgrade you'd be even further ahead in performance.
     
  8. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

    JesterJJZ

    Joined:
    Jul 21, 2004
    #8
    I cut r3d's on a 2006 just fine. You'll be fine for another year. Upgrade your 2009 if you need to.
     
  9. scottsjack macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Arizona
    #9
    Same here. If I could afford to replace my 2010 quad with 2012 12-core I would in a heartbeat.
     
  10. Buffsteria macrumors regular

    Buffsteria

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2012
    #10
    We're considering it. One of the things to take into consideration is the display. We can't stand non-Apple consumer displays so if we do get that 12 core we'll need to use the old iMac as a monitor for a while and then get an Apple Cinema Display (the ThunderBolt won't do any good on a Mac Pro at the moment).

    The HP monitor ZR24W I have to use on my Hackintosh looked GREAT...for the first three months. Now it has this yellow tinge that turns me off to it. Hubby's iMac still looks perfect after 3 years. I never thought my bottleneck would be the fact that my monitor turns me off from doing what I should be doing.
     
  11. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #11
    You can buy an NEC for around the same price as the Apple. They aren't perfect, but in some ways they are significantly better.

    Regarding the OP, expect virtually no cpu related difference editing in photoshop. It scales horrendously with core count. Premiere would benefit from it, but you really have to be sure where your bottleneck lies. It sucks to be held back by hardware. In what way is the imac a better choice? It's lower in geekbench, and it's not likely to perform faster in Premiere which is the most demanding application you're using there.
     
  12. d-m-a-x macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #12
    mine zr24 is still kicking - had it since 2009, i do calibrate it now and then. That hp / red machine looks pretty happening.
     
  13. Buffsteria macrumors regular

    Buffsteria

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2012
    #13
    "Prices start at $10,000" so I don't think it's happening for us. ;-)
     
  14. gokart mozart, Jun 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

    gokart mozart macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    #14
    I'd go ahead and get the 2012 Mac Pro today, and when the 2013 refresh hits (new chasis with thunderbolt, USB3, HDMI, more SSD options, and whatever "current" GPU 'n' CPU is available) sell the 2012 to a Mac reseller or on Ebay. Think about it: it's for work so it is your livelihood. Easily justifiable. And someone will still buy a used 2012 model a year from now, because it will still be a beast. But those features on the 2013 seem like they would be a boost to your workflow.

    If you don't think you'd get enough back on the 2012 when it is time to flip it, just upgrade the 2009 as much as you can now. The Pro is the most upgradeable and customizable computer Apple sells, after all. Upgrading the specs on your current MP will probably be cheaper and less of a hassle than buying a 2012 and then flipping it a year from now for the new 2013 model.
     
  15. VirtualRain macrumors 603

    VirtualRain

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    Location:
    Vancouver, BC
    #15
    You're not making much sense here... Desperate? Nehalem 8 Core can't handle HD video? Can't justify a new 12-core... Considering an iMac instead? :confused:

    Let me guess... You bought one of those 8 core 2.26 GHz machines?
     
  16. djmclaughlin7 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2012
    #16
    Wow, I didn't even know all of that was possible! It sounds like this would be the way to go. If I can get my MP fast and functional, that's all I really care about. Thank you and everyone else who gave advice!
     

Share This Page