What to get? Mini w/ Dell 22" LCD or 20" iMAC?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Details IM, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Details IM macrumors newbie

My choices are b/w the two and can't decide. :mad:

I don't do any gaming or web design. Just looking for the best for the cost in the long run.

2. pcorajr macrumors 6502

that is a good choice you have there. just remember that the iMacs do allow you to play certain games. The mini will not. but it seems like you know what you want/need so i would go with that.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Well the mini+Dell will cost less, and if that's an important factor then that's a good decision. I do think the iMac is a nicer machine though, and the monitors in the iMacs are a heck of a lot better than the Dell 22" (which is part of Dell's cheaper line of displays...the 2007wfp, for example, is a beautiful display). I have the Dell 22" at work and I hate it...I'm getting it replaced with a 20" Cinema Display next week. Then again, I'm doing design work. If you're not doing gaming or design, the mini is fine. If you can spare a little extra cash, the iMac is a bit more powerful, has bigger hard drives, and is easier to upgrade the RAM.

4. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Depends (as all questions like this do) on your needs.

Benefits to iMac: All-in-one; comes with keyboard, mouse, and speakers; faster, glossier :)

Benefits to mini: Bigger screen, probably cheaper, can upgrade to a larger screen at a later point, can use it as a media center when you buy a new computer, less glossy :)

5. Jimmdean macrumors 6502

The imac is really a complete computer - I love my Mini but it and a monitor just can't compare. The 7200 RPM drive and dedicated GPU are big pluses, but it's also the little things, like the iSight and built-in microphone. Less cable clutter is also very nice. It also has the best stand ever IMO. True there is no rotation, but it's also not ugly and very stable.

6. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

The iMac will be a better computer in 2 years. Spend a bit extra and get more mileage.

7. Boulderer2001 macrumors member

Go for the imac. It will last you a longer time than the mini and that will make for less headaches later on.

8. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

If you asked me 6 months ago I would have said mini. The iMac will stay "useful" longer but you can buy another mini in two years, keep your display, etc and have spent about the same amount of money as getting a new iMac in 4 years.

But, with Apple still gimping the mini with a GMA950 it's tough to recommend it. It's not that the GMA950 is BAD (it's perfectly fine for most things) but it's just absurd that they are still using it when it's been replaced by the next model int eh Intel integrated line (the x3000).

And not moving it to SR when the rest of the machines are there (except the MacBook which will be soon I'm sure) was a bit pathetic... the extra FSB and afore mentioned x3000 would have made the mini a contender.

Plus, the lack of superdrive in a $600 computer is appalling at best. They need to consolidate the mini like the Mac Pro is. A single model with lots of BTO options...

Anyways, back to the topic at hand, the base 20" iMac is really a better buy at this point. If Apple had done something decent with the mini I would have had no trouble recommending it, but they mind as well have ignored it.