What to get with $150 Apple gift card?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cinecals, Dec 27, 2007.

1. cinecals macrumors newbie

My brother gave me a very generous Christmas gift this year which is great, however I am at a loss as to how to spend this money that is burning a hole in my pocket. I have a SR MBP 2.2 with 4 G of ram (3rd party) that I bought in July (which I love by the way, no problems so far) and got the free printer and free nano with the purchase. I use the new usb keyboard and bluetooth MM with my computer that I bought when I upgraded to leopard (that I also paid for :). I have two 500 G external drives (1 FW 800, the other USB or sata).
    I also bought the gigabite ethernet N-enabled airport extreme BS and a Klipisch 2.1 speaker setup. I have all the software I need: Leopard, iwork and ilife 08, Aperture, a few games (AOE 3, Sim City 4 and C&C 3) and my parents gave me .mac for Christmas. I got the Iphone after the price drop and have my 5G ipod video that my g-friend gave me a while back to go with my newer nano, and I got Shure EC3 headphones to go with it.
    I recently gave a friend my old 4G ipod because I don't need it, and then decided to give another friend my G4 ibook because I didn't need 2 notebooks and wanted to help him since he was going through a tough time financially and emotionally and really needed a computer. I say this only because I was thinking of getting the 3G nano which looks pretty cool and then I could give my 2G nano to someone who could use it. Music is my passion and I have over 300 gigs of it in Itunes, so the classic makes sense but seems like overkill at 160 gigs and I like switching my music up as opposed to carrying it with me at all times.
    Thats all I can come up with so I thought I would throw this dilemma out there and see what you guys can come up with. I know I could get a few games or some software but I don't need or want anything (also I have Wii for games), and I hopefully don't need to think about hardware for a few years. I guess I could hold onto it and wait and see what comes out after MWSF or longer but then it doesn't seem as fun. Please feel free to leave any advice, or tell me I'm a moron for buying so much Apple stuff in one year :)

2. David G. macrumors 65816

I would put the money towards a ACD. That way, when you use Aperture you have more space to move around.

3. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a monitor right? I thought of that but I'd rather not put a lot more of my own money into the purchase, plus apple doesn't have very good deals on third party stuff like cameras, externals, peripherals, etc. which you can get much cheaper on newegg or the like. This is why I'm having such a hard time, because there's only certain things I buy from Apple. Appreciate the advice though... Also, I'm very much an amateur photog and I'm just trying things out to see if it's a hobby I plan to pursue. Aperture is hard to learn and I'm just trying out a friends copy to see if it is a program worth my investment.

Also, I love my nano and I'm not sure I like the design of the new one. It looks cool and is fun to play with but I feel like the older is more portable and good to use for workouts.

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Get a refurb video, for $180. or get a refurb old gen nano for $129.

5. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I first looked to see if I wanted to get a new iPod but didn't.

Then I made sure my subscription to .mac was done with

Then I bought my mother an iPod with video :)

I am not as keen on recommending iWork just yet

6. seany916 macrumors 6502

Hold onto the card until you need to buy another computer and put it toward that.

Make sure you don't lose money on the card over time.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP, perhaps a nice stand or something? Do you have a case for your mbp?

What about software you might need for school in the near future?

Oh, and do try to write in paragraphs next time. A block of text is less appealing to the eye. :eek:

8. David G. macrumors 65816

I'll change my suggestion then. No cinema display, buy what timestamp said and get AppleCare for the product(s) you most dread having break on you.

9. peejack macrumors 6502a

I would get an iPod nano, those things look fantastic :)

10. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I just got one of these from my fiancee for Christmas. Holy crap it's awesome. It's amazing how small it is.

11. cinecals thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the ideas. I guess I'll probably get the new nano and give the older one to my dad or a friend. I thought about maybe getting an apple tv especially given that rentals are coming soon. I saw a refurb 40 gig for $230... any thoughts? Should I just wait until after MWSF to see if that line gets a refresh? Is it even worth getting in the first place? Oh, and I have applecare for my MBP which was cheap with the edu discount and I can't see getting it for anything else, maybe my IPhone but its not a very exciting way to spend a giftcard.