what to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by will waters, Dec 5, 2011.

1. will waters macrumors regular

Hi
    I am currently considering whether to buy a mac mini or a MacBook pro, i currently have a 2008 MacBook and an iPad 2, however my laptop is struggling to keep up with what i demand of it (video edditing, photo's, i am also a DJ etc) portability would be use full (as am still at school), however i do have the MacBook and the Ipad and if ever i am doing a major gig etc could i take it with me? The mini is cheaper, but would it be better to go with the MBP?

Any advice would be use full

Thanks Will

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If you're a DJ then a Macbook Pro is a no brainer, don't even bother with the Mac Mini lol.

3. spacesamurai macrumors member

spacesamurai

Got to agree here. The mini is very cool, but it will not meet your needs. I can see someone carrying the required display around as well :D

I have done encoding on the Pro with very few issues. I too moved from a Macbook, and my only question was why I did not do that sooner.

I still think the mini is cool though ;)

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I carry a 17" MBP + external HD with loseless music + iPad in my bag

5. will waters thread starter macrumors regular

Guess i will go for the MBP

So i guess i will go for the MBP then, however i will wait until a new release come's out, hopefully with a better GPU in the 13 inch models, or would anyone consider the MBA?

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

If you want a 2012 MBP, you will be waiting till May-ish, for the IvyBridge CPUs.

MPA is good, but wont be as fast and not as much future proofing since you cant upgrade the HDD and RAM. I think a 13" or low-end 15" MBP would 8GB/16GB Ram (user replaceable) and an SDD (user replaceable) would be your best bet.