What to get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by polterdice, Mar 6, 2009.

1. polterdice macrumors newbie

Anxiously waiting for Apple's release of Mac's new desktops, I was a bit disappointed. I was hoping the standard version of the MP would be an octo processor, thus cutting out another thing to consider.

Currently I have an HP Pentium 4 desktop and a Gateway 1.6 Ghz 1 gb ram. Obviously both need an upgrade. Basically my next purchase will replace my PC for sure, and possibly my laptop.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Mac Pro $2299 (barebones) and get a dell 24-inch for $500 some
    One 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
    3GB (3x1GB)
    640GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB

MacBook Pro 17" $2000 (refurbished)
    2GB memory
    200GB hard drive; 7200 rpm
    NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 512MB of GDDR3 memory

I'm a student working with digital media. I'll be running Final Cut Studio 2, Adobe Creative Suite 4, perhaps Logic Studio for Logic Pro 8, among other programs.

I realize these systems are more powerful than I'll need them for the time being, which is why I'm sticking with the standard models.

Unfortunately the new MacBook does not support firewire, and I want a computer than can do so. I haven't bothered checking the iMac or Mac mini, they do not interest me.

My main concern is the MBP's versatility vs MP's upgrade ability.

Eventually I'll probably get the other one (if I get the MBP now I'll get the MP later, or vice versa), but that could be 5 years down the road.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

One thing to consider is do you need portability for your video work? If you're doing any editing away from your desk, go MBP. The 17" is a monster to carry around, but the screen will seem teeny once you start to edit.

3. polterdice thread starter macrumors newbie

Good call, my Gateway's a 17" and sometimes it feels like a beast, especially when compared to my wife's 15" MacBook (she's a teacher and it's school property, so unless I'm working on a project for her classroom, I no can touchy! :( )

At the moment, the only portability I need is from my apartment to school, so it may be easier to just get a MP and an external HD and transport when needed.

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

The mac or the wife?

5. polterdice thread starter macrumors newbie

lmao!