Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sir. mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Just a few days now before I receive my iMac 3.06/8800, and I´m trying to figure out what to install. I´ve had mac laptops for quite some years now, but as for a mac desktop this is my first.

But is the iMac really a desktop?
Since the thing is so compact and the GPU is mobile (right?), I cant´really figure out what kind of breed this is.

On that same note, which of these apps would make sense to install:

Rivatuner (bootcamp)
ATI tool (also bootcamp, but only for ATI-cards?)
Video drivers from laptopvideo2go (bootcamp)
SmcFancontrol
Coolbook

This might sound like stupid questions, but the thing that makes me uncertain about these applications is whether to treat the iMac as a mobile unit or not. :confused:

rfanch3r

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
Just a few days now before I receive my iMac 3.06/8800, and I´m trying to figure out what to install. I´ve had mac laptops for quite some years now, but as for a mac desktop this is my first.

But is the iMac really a desktop?
Since the thing is so compact and the GPU is mobile (right?), I cant´really figure out what kind of breed this is.

On that same note, which of these apps would make sense to install:

Rivatuner (bootcamp)
ATI tool (also bootcamp, but only for ATI-cards?)
Video drivers from laptopvideo2go (bootcamp)
SmcFancontrol
Coolbook

This might sound like stupid questions, but the thing that makes me uncertain about these applications is whether to treat the iMac as a mobile unit or not. :confused:

Negitive, this is considered a desktop, however the 175.75 nvidia drivers with the modified inf can be installed if you so wish from that laptopvideo2go.

All those other apps are not applicable or not needed. SmcFancontrol for the mac isnt really needed as well as coolbook since the mac runs really cool as it is.

Unless your playing games then its going to heat up.

sir. mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Negitive, this is considered a desktop, however the 175.75 nvidia drivers with the modified inf can be installed if you so wish from that laptopvideo2go.

All those other apps are not applicable or not needed. SmcFancontrol for the mac isnt really needed as well as coolbook since the mac runs really cool as it is.

Unless your playing games then its going to heat up.

You sure seem certain for a macrumors "newbie" :p

Also, why are you saying I should/could install laptopvideo2go if it´s a desktop, does that make sense? It´s great if I don´t need the hassle with SmcF and Coolbook, but does everyone agree re the heat for the iMac?

What about ATI-tool and RIVA-tuner in Bootcamp, is it usable?

imac123

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2008
SmcFancontrol for the mac isnt really needed as well as coolbook since the mac runs really cool as it is.

At first my hard drive temps were above 50 deg C which worried me a bit, so I am now using smcfancontrol. Now they are usually in the high 40's. You probably don't NEED it... otherwise imacs would be dying all over the place b/c of high temps... but if you think it will make your components happier and maybe last longer or avoid dying over time, then go for it. (many ppl use it for imacs)

rfanch3r

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2008
You sure seem certain for a macrumors "newbie" :p

Well I am certian, I just got the iMac myself not more then 2 weeks ago, however, as you pointed out, I am newb and could be wrong and I hope that someone who has a mac longer then myself would correct me.

Also, why are you saying I should/could install laptopvideo2go if it´s a desktop, does that make sense? It´s great if I don´t need the hassle with SmcF and Coolbook, but does everyone agree re the heat for the iMac?

Its considered a desktop, it COULD be portable but its freakin huge, anyways the vid card is a laptop module, right now the mac has been on for a few hours and its cool to the touch but its up to you if you want to run it.

What about ATI-tool and RIVA-tuner in Bootcamp, is it usable?

I to would like to know if Riva tuner is usefull for the iMac videa card.

04texag

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
I'd also like to know more about his questions.

What is the Riva-tuner?

Also, what is the best way to monitor fan control and temp?

Also, as I posted on another thread, I'm looking for advise/experiences with people using ATI tool on their Imacs.

Thanks

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Also, what is the best way to monitor fan control and temp?

I use smcfancontrol to monitor fans, and it works great... contrary to what others are saying in this thread, I find it extremely useful. My iMac runs a little warm constantly, but just raising the fan speed just the slightest bit makes a huge difference, and I've noticed that it runs a little smoother :)

Also, download iStat Pro... it's amazing. It monitors temperatures for everything, fan speeds, memory usage... and it's a widget, so you can pull it up whenever you want...

Hope that helps.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I use smcfancontrol to monitor fans, and it works great... contrary to what others are saying in this thread, I find it extremely useful. My iMac runs a little warm constantly, but just raising the fan speed just the slightest bit makes a huge difference, and I've noticed that it runs a little smoother :)

Might be "a little warm" for you, but not for your iMac. All you're doing by bumping up the fans' speed is using additional energy, and placing more wear & tear on the fans. And no, smcfancontrol is not making your iMac run smoother. It's one of many programs around to make users feel smoother. :)

cloudnine

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Might be "a little warm" for you, but not for your iMac. All you're doing by bumping up the fans' speed is using additional energy, and placing more wear & tear on the fans. And no, smcfancontrol is not making your iMac run smoother. It's one of many programs around to make users feel smoother. :)

Meh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.