What to look for in external drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wayland1985, Nov 1, 2018.

1. wayland1985 macrumors 6502a

I’m about to pull the trigger on a refurb iMac to replace an ancient 2008 MBP.

I was convinced by you all to go with an SSD model, and then add an external hard drive for the bulk storage/backup.

Since my iPhone has been my primary computer for years now; I’m out of the game:

What should I be looking for in a hard drive? I’m on a budget, but would like a reliable (especially with this being a refurb machine) hard drive. I’d like one with some speed as well: I don’t do much video editing right now; but if I did: it wouldn’t be a feature length film (maybe just home videos/drone video edits).

I’m not afraid to buy an enclosure and strap in my own hard drive if that is cost effective.

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"I’m not afraid to buy an enclosure and strap in my own hard drive if that is cost effective."

For an enclosure, I'd suggest this:
    https://www.amazon.com/MiniPro-USB-...541087567&sr=8-1&keywords=2.5"+minipro+usb3.1
    (I have one, it's built like a tank)

Get a 2.5" platter-based drive to go inside, 7200rpm.
    Or...
    Get a 2.5" SSD, perhaps 500gb or 1tb. Not that much $$$ these days.

Or... consider something like a Samsung t5 or Sandisk Extreme USB3 SSD.

3. wayland1985 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your reply: I've been trying to research this further. It seems Thunderbolt 3 claims to be quite faster than USB C, but can those speeds even be used with today's platter or SSD drives?

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

You'll find it hard to source a thunderbolt 3 enclosure for a single 2.5" SSD. That said, a USB-C enclosure is fast enough for a single 2.5" SSD, and definitely fast enough for a platter drive.