What to Look for in Used MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MOKHAN, Mar 19, 2011.

1. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

So basically, I've been looking for a small portable computer on which I could do some video editing, as my current laptop (Toshiba S2970) does a horrible job of rendering and processing clips (Adobe Premiere/After Effects)

So I went out looking on Kijiji and Craigslist, and someone contacted me selling their Macbook Pro 13" (2010 model, 2.4GHz) for $850 since they had recently bought an iPad, and between that and their work computer they rarely found themselves using the MBP

Now this person bought this macbook near the end of January, so it is under warranty until January 2012 and they have assured me it is in mint condition. Also, they have put a "moshi palmguard" and track pad protector on it, and will also include a black hardcase. Do you guys think I should go for it?

In summary, I was wondering, what should I look for in the Macbook Pro when this person comes to meet me? Should I double check the configuration? And check the warranty status? Any help would be appreciated!

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Things to look for:
    Check for any and all scratches and dings (minor surface ones are fine)

Check the screen carefully makes sure no dead pixels or discolorations (if so don't buy)

Make sure you get all the discs that came with the computer OS and all

Make sure that you get all the associated cables (power and video adapter)

Make sure that if they tampered with the inside of the computer they either know what they are doing or had a pro do it.

Check to make sure the battery is in good condition

Ask what they used the machine for: (if video editing or audio editing replace the HD) and ask for a discount

Check the HD SMART status if anything other then verified ask them to drop the price.

Run hardware check on the system to make sure there are no obvious hardware faults. If any reject the product. Pay careful attention to the RAM and Motherboard checks.

If the computer is on completely shut it down and re-boot it listen for any odd beeps or sounds. (extra chimes failure to boot the first time etc should be a deal breaker)

Be very aware of any odd sounds coming from the machines such as screeches or clicking or extra startup chimes.

Check the DVD drive by putting in a disc and making sure that it reads the disc.

If you have a game that you can run without installing or GPU benchmark use that to make sure the GPU is not damaged (I have laptop with a bad GPU it works unless you try to play 3D games).

Make sure they wiped the HD and re-installed the OS.

Check the keyboard and trackpad making sure there is no evidence of spills. (if the computer is dirty with food debris be extra careful to check the computers function)

Check all the ports make sure none of them are damaged.

I think that covers it.

Cheers

3. MOKHAN thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you for your reply! I'm making the switch from Windows to Mac, that's why i'm being a little extra cautious with this. Although, there are a few things I was confused about:

Make sure you get all the discs that came with the computer OS and all
    That would mean that there should be 1 iLife & 2 Mac OS X discs correct?

Ask what they used the machine for: (if video editing or audio editing replace the HD) and ask for a discount
    Sorry for my noobiness, though why replace the HD?

Run hardware check on the system to make sure there are no obvious hardware faults. If any reject the product. Pay careful attention to the RAM and Motherboard checks.
    So Applications>Utilities>Hard drive>Command+i>Check if verified ?

So basically I would insert Mac OS X install disc 2 (computers shipping with 10.5.5 or later) and hold down "D" before the apple logo pops up during startup. And when the hardware test finally starts up, I press "T" to initiate all of the basic tests, and no problems should come up?

4. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

1.) You are correct.

2.) Audio and video work wears out hard drives really fast (high demand for data). Also apple tends to use kind of crappy laptop drives so heavy use plus not such a great drive equals replace the drive (this is to be safe).

You want to go with 4 using the disc and following the directions for running hardware test.

Cheers

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

Actually, there should only be 2 disks: Mac OS X and iLife.

I would also add to check the "About this Mac Screen" to verify that it is the system you think you are buying: Core2Duo 2.4GHz and 4GB RAM.