What to look for? New iPad flaws

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nuggetz, Apr 27, 2012.

1. nuggetz macrumors newbie

After waiting for a tablet with adequate display resolution, I'm finally planning on taking the plunge this weekend. Going to pick up a new iPad and wanted to know if there's any sure signs of problems once I open the box. Where are you guys seeing the color problems, etc? Are there any specific screens that show such flaws better than others? Like an all white screen, all black, etc? As much as I'd like to take it home for the unboxing, I'm considering opening it up in the store to make sure there's nothing wrong with it.

Also, can you tell what the serial number is without opening the box? I'd like to snag a DY version since people are reporting that those seem to have less "issues".

Anyway, just wanted to know if there are any sure fire signs that I could observe before even taking it home.

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I wouldn't specifically look for anything. Use it as you normally would and see if you notice anything. Some of the problems people are reporting are from using it in a way they wouldn't ever actually use it (all black image in total darkness, for example).

Let me say though, that I am not jumping on people who have noticed flaws. I took my first one back due to a scratch in the back cover right out of the box. I returned a second for dead pixels. I tried to ignore the dead pixel, but it was visible during normal use.

Enjoy your new iPad! :)

3. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

Don't go looking for trouble! If you receive a bad unit, you will know it without looking for light bleeds or dead pixels. Think positive - lots of people seem to be 100% pleased with first unit straight out of the box. Like I said, if it's not good, you will know it without consulting a forum or anyone else!:)

4. VFC macrumors 6502a

Now if you used your iPad in total darkness and displayed black images, you would not have noticed the scratch or the dead pixel....lol.

5. 62tele macrumors 6502a

Apparently, according to many here, if you open the box and it has an Apple logo then you can consider it defective. If you listen to them you will obsess over minutiae. Be sure to go visit a dark room and turn up the brightness all the way to find some light leak or do any of the other ridiculous tests that people have concocted.

If you're that concerned, I'm not sure I waste your time or money.

As for me, I am extremely satisfied with my purchase of the iPad (3). I also purchased one for my daughter and she is also delighted with hers. (we were both previously had first generation models.)

Also, I have three co-workers who are extremely satisfied with their purchases as well. All of us purchased them in different locales or from different vendors.

6. rz-jacks macrumors member

do yourself a favor and don't "look" for any defects... I went down that road and I regret it badly. I had a perfect ipad 3 that I pre-ordered and ended up returning it for very minor backlight bleed (tbh I would have never noticed it unless I tested for it) and a very very slight darkness on one corner.... all issues that I really looked for

well, to this day after like 4 iPads I haven't gotten one which I have to actually look for defects. every single one as soon as I turn it on, I immediately notice the screen is bad. I really wish I could get my first one back.

So my .02 is open it, give it a look over to make sure its physically ok, and then simply just use it. If somethings wrong, you will definitely notice it in a week's worth of usage. If you do notice something under regular usage then exchange if not enjoy ;)

7. nuggetz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not worried about light bleed as that happens on my 3K dollar TV. Basically I'm going to make sure there are no scratches and dead pixels. If there aren't any glaring color issues I'd be okay. But since I did do some research on this forum ill still have it in the back of my head

8. Aksta macrumors regular

The main test is to get the keyboard up and split it and see if there are any colour differences. You can usually see a clear difference if there is a problem with the screen tint. I have yet to find a perfect one and have settled for one with a slight tint in the middle of the keyboard

9. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Use it. If you like it and are pleased with it during normal use, then it's fine. Do not read too much into forum posts here. Yes, a small minority of people are having problems and are frustrated (I was in the same boat with the iPad 2 and getting dust under the screen), but chances are yours will be fine.

I was skeptical too, but I got a good one right out of the box. I discovered a dead/stuck pixel on it when we were on vacation, but it actually went away on its own and wasn't bothering me in the first place.

10. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Good point! Haha :D

11. nuggetz thread starter macrumors newbie

Can anyone comment on whether or not the "yellow" tint goes away with time? I'm sure people might get used to their screens after using it for a while but I'm wondering if there's any truth it being an "adhesive" issue. Some people have reported the same issue with Ipad 1 and 2. I played with my brother's ipad tonight for the first time and honestly the screen looked like a bad lcd screen who's bulbs were getting dimmer with age. Resolution was nice of course but I couldn't help but notice that the screen wasn't very vibrant. I checked to see if the brightness was turned all the way up and it was.

I've never been a fan of Apple products since they dumb things down for power users but they have the best tablet and have been saving for months and would hate to be disappointed. Its a lot of cash to just "deal with".

12. The Special One macrumors member

As indicated, don't go looking for problems. If there is one you will see it. They are pretty obvious. Chances are though you will score a good one. Good luck.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

That's some advice, yeah you will eventually find something if you carefully look.

14. nicoplanet macrumors regular

nicoplanet

There is no glue between LCD and digitizer on iPads. It's only on iPhone 4/4S. You'll see evidences on many topics here and on iFixit... If the iPad panel is yellow tinted, then it will stay yellow. "Burning" or "waiting the glue to dry" won't do anything about it! :D

15. FeaRThiS macrumors 6502

Personally I would say if your looking at a tablet if it has an apple logo on the back it will have flaws either suck it up like most people on here have or buy another brand of tablet.

16. Madjobs macrumors newbie

When you get it........

I went thru 3 and gave up and went back to my 2,but when you get it and find the defects the fanboys will attack in full force with some of the following comments so get ready:

1-you are OCD

2-live with it- it is a apple product

3-you really did not see what you saw

4-you are a troll newbie,bad mouthed apple in all it's glory and you are not a fanboy

5-even though you spent your hard earned money- nothing is wrong- use it-
    Do not look at the defect-now see it is gone!

6-it is good enough and within specs

7-ALL OF THE ABOVE

best of luck and do not settle for one you are not happy with-no matter what the fanboys say

17. lukeman3000 macrumors regular

You.. I like you.

18. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

As others have stated, most people have ZERO problems with their iPad. (Seriously I've seen the iPad displays in Staples, Best Buy, Walmart, multiple Verizon and ATT stores where I live and appear just fine) so the few people that do have problems are in one of two categories:

1. Genuine problem. Unfortunate but they just have to make a simple exchange.

2. Looking for problems. You can find flaws in ANYTHING you own if you look hard enough. I don't feel bad for people doing "tests" and things to look for flaws. I also find it funny when people whine about light bleed or slight color shifts. All flat panel technology does this to an extent. If someone thinks otherwise they haven't been around it enough.

----------

Fanboy or realist? I go with the latter.

When you get people here returning 9+ iPads is safe to assume its the user not the device.

19. SamFisher macrumors member

I'm sorry, but the amount of threads on this subject is getting ridiculous.

20. The Special One macrumors member

True, but apparently the problem is continuing. The earlier models had some complaints but they appeared to be more isolated and the complaints died down. Not the case this time around. I still have my pink tinted version because the Genius flat out told me my chances of getting one that was worse were good and I already had had two models which were worse. He also said this one was within spec. If all of this is the case there is a QC problem this time around.

21. taedouni macrumors 65816

If the device seems perfect to you after a few days of usage then it's a keeper.

22. The Special One macrumors member

Yup, that I agree with. If there is a real problem it is readily apparent right quick. Those that just pick nits are as bad as the head in the sand deniers.