What to look for on rMBP refurb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nickhyena, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Nickhyena macrumors newbie

Hi,

Just received an email and SMS that my refurbished rMBP will be delivered tomorrow. Exciting.

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/F...z-dual-core-intel-core-i5-with-retina-display

Anyway, I've been reading various complains about a variation of SSDs and screens not performing as well as other brands. Also, thought it might be worth checking the number of battery cycles it's had.

Can anyone else give more detail on what to look for on SSD and screen and any other suggestions? I'm not looking for problems, but I'll be pretty bummed with a slower SSD as I use macs for HD video and I'll be fairly annoyed to ave an LG display that burns in.

Cheers,

Nick

2. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Nick it's under a 12 month warranty don't stress over which SSD and Screen you have on it. Just enjoy your lovely new laptop

3. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

Maybe just use it and enjoy it instead of looking for something to complain about?

For the screen check.

Copy and paste this command into terminal.

PHP:
    ioreg -lw0 grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6
    LP = LG, LSN = Samsung.​

For the SSD check. from http://osxdaily.com/2012/06/21/determine-manufacturer-of-mac-ssd/

1. Pull down the Apple menu and choose “About This Mac”, then click on “More Info”
    2. Click “System Report”
    3. Look under “Hardware” for the “Serial-ATA” entry and select it
    4. Expand the chipset and look for “APPLE SSD SM128″ or similar, the final block of characters show the manufacturer, model, and size. With an SSD on MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, they are as follows:
    TS = Toshiba​
    SM = Samsung​
    Other = likely 3rd party upgrade​

4. Nickhyena thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. Just wanted to spend 5 mins checking I didn't get a sub standard Mac as I've still spent £1059 on it. I'm sure even with a slower SSD I'll still be over the moon with it.

Cheers,

Nick

5. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

Just a quick heads up that those Terminal commands tgi provided do not work on the 13" rMBP, unfortunately. If it's any consolation image persistence/ghosting is not nearly as prevalent an issue on the 13 in models as they are on the 15 in.