What to look for when buying a app ?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by max2, Nov 14, 2015.

1. max2 macrumors 68000

Would that be how often the app is updated, support, price, and the sometimes the pictures ?

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

What I look for:

The screenshots
    Description
    Developer's website (FAQ, url scheme documentation, social media, etc)

And when it was published/updated.

Anything not updated in the last six months gets the boot, and anything I feel iffy about gets wish listed.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Mainly wether or not I need/want the app and it provides whatever it is that I need/want.

4. campyguy macrumors 68030

Following the lead of the previous two posters, I rarely buy apps that don't have a paid version, and I often buy the paid version - with millions of apps on the iTS I don't see many non-game apps getting updated (how many PDF, note-taking, or calendar apps are there now?).

I take some time to read up on related apps - if they're abandonware, what's the point? I avoid developers based in Asia, mainly due to some of my work involving Federal funds but also partly due to seeing too many "stories" about hacking/breaches/etc. and not having any recourse - if the data source is housed overseas - there's no way in heck they're getting my 99 cents.

I avoid anything that Yahoo is involved with - too many abandoned products. And, if the dev doesn't own the data, their access could get revoked at any time because they're not paying the bills or the TOS changed.