Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

max2

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 31, 2015
Would that be how often the app is updated, support, price, and the sometimes the pictures ?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
What I look for:

The screenshots
Description
Developer's website (FAQ, url scheme documentation, social media, etc)

And when it was published/updated.

Anything not updated in the last six months gets the boot, and anything I feel iffy about gets wish listed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Mainly wether or not I need/want the app and it provides whatever it is that I need/want.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Following the lead of the previous two posters, I rarely buy apps that don't have a paid version, and I often buy the paid version - with millions of apps on the iTS I don't see many non-game apps getting updated (how many PDF, note-taking, or calendar apps are there now?).

I take some time to read up on related apps - if they're abandonware, what's the point? I avoid developers based in Asia, mainly due to some of my work involving Federal funds but also partly due to seeing too many "stories" about hacking/breaches/etc. and not having any recourse - if the data source is housed overseas - there's no way in heck they're getting my 99 cents.

I avoid anything that Yahoo is involved with - too many abandoned products. And, if the dev doesn't own the data, their access could get revoked at any time because they're not paying the bills or the TOS changed.

Reactions: Jessica Lares
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.