Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mag2001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2007
San Antonio, TX
Tomorrow I am meeting a guy local to me off of Craigslist. He is selling a 2016 Mbp 15inch with 2.9ghz and 1tb ssd for $2200 which seems like a really good price. He says it it new sealed and never used. He said he purchased in June for $3800. Talked to him via text and seems legit but wasn't sure what else to look for when buying. I am meeting him tomorrow at his sons football practice at a local park. Thanks in advance for any advice!

flashy-cat

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2007
UK
Make sure you pay cash, and come by yourself, sellers on CL can be a bit shy. For the same reason, probably best to choose a quiet location for the handover, away from prying eyes.

green86

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2007
North Carolina
Tomorrow I am meeting a guy local to me off of Craigslist. He is selling a 2016 Mbp 15inch with 2.9ghz and 1tb ssd for $2200 which seems like a really good price. He says it it new sealed and never used. He said he purchased in June for $3800. Talked to him via text and seems legit but wasn't sure what else to look for when buying. I am meeting him tomorrow at his sons football practice at a local park. Thanks in advance for any advice!

That sounds a bit too good to be true. It is sealed, so I doubt he wants you to open it, but what if he hands you an empty box? What if it's stolen? I'm a bit weary of buying big ticket items off craigslist, and I usually keep my CL purchases to under 750. eBay is where I go since there is buying protection. Think of it this way; if you bought a computer for 4k, would you sell it for half that amount 2 months later?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"What to look for when buying a MacBook off CL?"

An honest seller.
If a deal "looks too good to be true" ... (fill in the rest yourself)

Tazoawake2016

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2016
Deep Space 9
Why would someone buy a computer for $3,800, leave it unopened for 2 months and then sell it $1,600 below the purchase price? Sounds strange. :confused:

If you would still like to check the item out, insist on meeting at an Apple Store. There must be at least one in San Antonio. Ask the seller to bring the receipt (very important) so you know he's the legitimate owner/purchaser. Then, have the store verify the laptop including warranty. Once everything checks out, only then and then, hand over the money. Absolutely, do not meet the guy at some random football field!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.