What to look for when buying a rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kvnfo, Jan 16, 2013.

1. kvnfo macrumors member

Hey guys,

I'm planning to buy a used retina Macbook Pro, from someone on craigslist. What caught my attention was that 1800 price point and apple care the machine has. I had him check and verify the screen and it turns out to be a samsung. So this is more and more seeming like a great deal. I'm going to check it out in person in a couple of hours.

What are some common issues with the Retina that I should check for?

Thanks

2. KPOM macrumors G5

Beyond the normal Craiglist precautions (I'd suggest meeting at a coffee shop or somewhere where there are people), the most commonly reported issues are with the screen. Image retention is much less of an issue with the Samsungs, but maybe put Chess on while you inspect the machine for obvious wear and tear. It retailed for $2199, plus $349 for AppleCare, so you might probe a bit to find out why he's selling it. Apple is selling the refurb models for $1870 right now without AppleCare.

Does he have the receipt? Also, AppleCare can be formally transferred if he sends an e-mail to Apple with a copy of the receipt (it's documented in one of the clauses of the actual contract). I've done that in the past when I've sold iPhones. Have him cc: you on the e-mail. You should get an e-mail notification when the transfer is done. Otherwise, since AppleCare can be returned for a pro-rated refund, if you don't get the confirmation you won't know for sure that he didn't just cancel AppleCare.

3. kvnfo thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

I just got done making the purchase, everything went smooth good and honest guy. The rMBP is perfect, not a scratch on it.

Thanks for the advice!

4. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL