What to look for when purchasing iPhone external battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by travelbug22, Jan 23, 2011.

1. travelbug22 macrumors newbie

Next month I’ll be taking a 5 day trip to NYC and I’ll be using my built-in iPhone 4 Google Maps GPS a lot, so I’m in the market to buy an external battery. So with that said, what should I look for when purchasing one? I’ve noticed a lot of these advertise the mAh (milliampere-hour), and then some will also advertise the amperes themselves (i.e. 5200 mAh (2 amps)). What’s the difference when they advertise both?

2. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Biggest thing that you'll want to be concerned with is the mAh. Obviously, the bigger the number, the more power you'll have and longer battery life. The batteries come in either case form factor or as a separate battery which you connect to your phone with a cable.

The larger battery cases will make your phone thicker and the battery cases with smaller mAh will be slimmer. Not sure if this is an issue for you or not. If you want to keep your phone as slim as possible, then you might want to look at the battery packs and just use as you need it.

A lot of people I've seen with these usually get the slim battery cases. While they don't give you a lot of battery power compared to other larger cases, it'll give you enough extra juice without bulking up the phone too much.

The type of case you want is really up to your personal preference. If you need lots of juice, get a battery pack or larger battery case. If you want a little extra juice without too much bulk and not have to carry around a battery pack then the slimmer battery cases would be your best bet.