What to look for?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by roland.g, Nov 11, 2008.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I just bought a new 2.4 MacBook this past weekend and wanted to know what to look for should I need to return it? I opened it last night and booted it for the first time. It has the 9C89 panel, and I know it isn't as good as the MBA and MBP screens, but will have to do.

I know that for every 10 problems I read about here, there are a 100 or 1000 satisfied MacBook owners. But I wanted to know some of the key things to look at as signs of defect or reasons to get a replacement. Especially since my BodyGuardz will be arriving soon for it, and I don't particularly want to return it once I have put that on.

The screen looks good, from what I could tell no dead or stuck pixels, which is more than I could say for my iMac last year.

The f keys don't look like they slant.

The trackpad seems to click just fine.

Not sure what else to quality check. I didn't use it much last night and have yet to reinstall OS X slimmed down by 5GB w/o all the languages and printer drivers and X11 and other stuff I won't use. Likewise I didn't bother running software update or setting any preferences till after the wipe and reinstall of the OS.

I did google the quicktime trailer of The Dark Knight and watched it in 720p HD in a dark room. Didn't bother with 1080p since the screen only goes to 1280x800. It looked just fine to me head on, but certainly didn't look great from the left or right or tilting the screen to far back, but I understand that is the nature of it. There was a little bleed at along the bottom, but not much, I think my iMac is similar. I've seen some posts mentioning people using so and sos color profile, but I don't know what all that really does, or where those links are posted.

Any feedback would be great as always.

FYI, I did consider the Air for weight and better screen panel, but since the 2.0 is not out yet and the MB gives better performance, glass trackpad, more ports and an optical drive for less $$ along with still being lighter than the prior generation blackbook, I figured the MB was the better choice.

2. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I think you covered all the main things to look for. All you need to do now is enjoy your new Macbook.

3. Locker macrumors 6502

The only other thing I would check is that the battery case fits snugly and doesn't move around or rattle at all. If that's fine, looks like you got a good 'un!

4. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

It can apply to every key. my T, Y, U, I and S were badly slanted, but easily fixed with a piece of hard paper and a little force.

5. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

I didn't open the battery cover yet. Like I said very little time with it.
    Do you mean the cover not being snug after you take it off, or the actual battery being a bit loose?

6. Locker macrumors 6502

Quite a few people are having problems with the cover itself being loose (including me). It doesn't fit flush with the rest of the bottom of the laptop and can sometimes allow movement which can cause a rattling or tapping sound. It was like this before the cover was taken off for me...

7. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

roland.g

Well I flipped my MacBook over and was looking at the battery cover. It is just a tiny bit loose in such a way that I can put my finger on the two black pads and slide it front/back just a little bit. I would say about a millimeter. I can also see a slight unevenness at the flat angle. However it doesn't rock or sit unevenly on a desk or table. And I don't get any rattling or tapping unless I take my hand to it and move it.

Should it have just the tiniest bit of play or should I not be able to move it at all when it is closed?