What to make of this iMac ad?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by segovius, Sep 12, 2012.

1. segovius macrumors regular

segovius

Looking through the Daily Mirror site for the horrendous post-mortem on the international footie last night I found this competition posted in the UK Daily Mirror yesterday.

The article is to win a new iMac and there is a photo missing but clearly intended to be placed.

The text says:

And clearly implies a redesign/new product but confusingly mentions battery life - and USB3.

What's this about then?

2. AlphaMF macrumors regular

:eek:

That is the weirdest sh** I've seen yet. The battery life thing is horribly off base. I wonder if somone mixed up rMBP and iMac stats and failed misserably.

Either that.... or apple is going semi portable with the iMac :D

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

4. segovius thread starter macrumors regular

segovius

Heheh....could be worse, could be the Mail.

But the question is though why would they start such a competition? Obviously they ARE running a comp which offers a new iMac as a prize. Otherwise it's illegal - people will have entered already and would have a case. So they are offering one.

But it is clearly just not the existing one as the specs are messed up.

I think (hope) it is maybe placeholder text and the page will be updated - perhaps today - with the real specs and an image.

5. Starsky72 macrumors newbie

The closing date doesn't bode well though, could mean the new iMac isn't available until mid Nov ;)

6. karter16 macrumors member

7. segovius thread starter macrumors regular

segovius

The terms are interesting - could £1,125 be the price point?

8. karter16, Sep 12, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012

karter16 macrumors member

"Inside the computer it houses the ultra fast I5 processor, built in WiFi and Bluetooth along with 4gb memory and upon release, the new operating system OS Mountain Lion."

Sounds to me like it's some old text describing a mac (maybe a macbook given the battery life reference) that was released prior to ML? Otherwise why would they say "upon release, the new operating system OS Mountain Lion"?

Also the T's & C's say "If the advertised prize is no longer available" which would suggest it was an existing product, not a new one?

9. Broseidon macrumors regular

Obviously this isn't real but just to clear up the price; £1,125 is the retail price of a 27" iMac with the VAT (tax) removed.

10. segovius thread starter macrumors regular

segovius

Ok, makes sense.

Does anyone know how Apple deal with these competition offers? I remember when the iPad2 came out my bank here in Spain pretty much immediately had an offer where you get one free if you open a 2 year deposit on a certain amount. Not sure how many iPads they had but it must have been a lot and they must have been allocated them prior to release by Apple - must have applied to other countries too.

What I'm saying is, it must be the case that institutions that offer Apple products in competitions/offers actually get the nod that it's imminent although probably not the specs and hence this ad with its random text.