What to purchase with my iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ranman444, Feb 13, 2008.

1. ranman444 macrumors newbie

Within the next few weeks I will purchasing an iMac . I am going for the 2.4 with the 20" screen. What are other programs/software/hardware people think are a must for thier iMacs. I will purchase iWorks. Any other recomendations?

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

An external hard drive for backing up your data with Time Machine. One piece of software I can't live without is 1Password.

3. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

I'll tell you what you don't need... a mousepad! There's one in the box already! :D

*ducks and runs*

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

If you don't already have an external hard drive, definitely buy one. Time Machine is an amazing piece of software.

As far as the rest of it is concerned, it all depends upon what you're going to use your Mac for. Maybe you could tell us what you normally do with your PC and we can recommend Mac software/hardware.

5. Theatrics macrumors member

It isn't a mouse pad, its a cloth for cleaning the iMac's glass. :p

Colloquy is a excellent free IRC client.
    Twitterrific is a great little app if you use Twitter.
    I love AppZapper.
    And yes, Time Machine is a great thing to take advantage of since it comes with Leopard, so you should get an external HD for it. I use a Western Digital MyBook. (Home Edition for firewire)

6. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

lmao! I know that, and you know that.
    Some people...notsomuch.
    I take it you missed the thread about this.
    :)

7. Theatrics macrumors member

Yeah, i figured you knew with the "*ducks and runs*" bit. :p
    I once saw an iMac review on youtube and the person in the video said it was a mouse pad. ahahah, its a horrible mouse pad if it is!

8. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

Haha, i didn't miss the thread, were you the OP?

9. YuriVoorhak macrumors regular

Unfortunately, no. My first thought was that Apple was nice enough to provide a microfiber cloth. My second thought was, "Why is this microfiber cloth leaving macro fibers all over my iMac?"
    :D

10. TTTimo macrumors newbie

Are you interested in looking at free software too? There's a lot of good, free software for Macs. You can check them out at:

http://macapper.com/2008/01/10/mac-os-x-freeware-list

Personally I use some of them, so those are definitely good recommendations. It will save you a lot of $$$ :D

If you do graphic design, you can get a digital pen tablet. Wacom has got good ones. You can also add a USB hub.

11. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I've had the opposite result. The cloth with the iMac is the only microfiber cloth that doesn't leave behind fibers.

12. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Don't know how much you want to spend, but if you do much with iTunes, you should check out the Apple TV. It is a great way to listen to your music with your sound system, without having to plug in your iPod, etc. The new movie rental options is cool too.

Video Podcasts (TWIT, MacBreak Weekly, DL.TV, anything from Revision 3) are all great to watch/listen to on the Apple TV.