What to take on holidays?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by venusian, Mar 5, 2010.

  1. venusian macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2008
    #1
    I'm headed to Paris and Italy in May for a friend's wedding in Siena, and I'm thinking about what to take with me (thinking about it early so I can sort out the bag situation:))
    My current kit is:
    Olympus E-520
    14-42mm
    40-150mm
    35mm
    Fl-36R flash
    various filters and a diffuser

    On my last OS trip I took the 14-42mm and 40-150mm. The only time I used the the 40-150 was at the zoo. So I was thinking this trip I'd only take the 14-42mm.

    So do you think this will be enough? Or is there something in Paris/Rome/Venice/Florence/Siena that I should take the 40-150 for?

    I'm also wondering about the flash (i got it after my last trip). I won't be able to use it in museums, I'm not sure about churches...can anyone see any real point in dragging it along too??

    And so this isn't a totally boring post...here's some photos from my last trip...

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/30591423@N03/
     
  2. Ish macrumors 68010

    Ish

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    I'm not too familiar with your camera but I have been to Siena and Paris so could maybe add a few thoughts.

    The streets there can be, as you know, quite narrow, so the wider-angle lenses are very useful. Too wide and the buildings soon start to lean in but you may have the software to correct this to some extent.

    One thing the longer focal lengths are useful for is if you like to photograph the architectural details of buildings, some of which make good photographs in themselves. Another is to narrow the focus onto your subject in the crowded environment. I think your camera has quite a long DoF so you might find this useful if you wanted to do this.

    Again, with narrow streets, sometimes fill in flash might be useful, but I'm sure you could manage without if you want to shed some items from your camera bag!

    Have a good trip. Looking forward to seeing some of the photos!
     
  3. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 1, 2008
    #3
    Haven't been to that part of Europe, but, for street candids, the longer the lens, the better. As far as flash, it'll probably be nice to have one for the wedding, although you could always improvise a diffuser for the onboard flash.
     
  4. Grimace macrumors 68040

    Grimace

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2003
    Location:
    with Hamburglar.
    #4
    I dragged a 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50mm, and 135mm through some of the same cities. The control freak in me was happy, but frankly, 90% of the shots were on the wide end with the other 10% using the 50mm.

    For travel, landscapes etc. are more common so wider angle lenses are a good bet. Traveling light is soooooo nice. I'm off to Hawaii for a week and I'm [only] taking the 24-70, 70-200mm and 50mm.
     
  5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

    Jaro65

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2009
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #5
    You forgot to mention your underwater camera. :)
     

Share This Page