What to turn off...what to keep on??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Oct 16, 2011.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I want to get the most out of my battery life...I hope all you users out there will have tips for the rest of us....

-I turned off my push, don't need that
    -turned off my icloud backups

-wish I could turn off location services, but then Siri wouldn't be as helpful
    -need bluetooth on sometimes...although it's not connected to anything I still assume it wastes battery as it's always scanning to connect to something else
    -would like to turn off wifi too, but it says location services are much more accurate with wifi on...not really sure how that helps when you're out of your home or work and not connected to a wifi network???
    -notifications are on...I find that pretty handy (if you turn it off, will your email,calls, and texts still show in the notification pull down menu??

So you can get amazing battery life, but you have to give up some of the great features that make this phone so awesome...what have you turned off or left on? What features are you willing to give up in order to get more juice??

2. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

you don't have to turn off iCloud Backups. it doesn't backup unless u do it manually or if you are plugged in to a power source and under wifi.

So that shouldn't effect battery life.

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

For all the bragging that's done over how superior the iPhone is, it's a bit ironic that battery life is already an issue. Especially given the fact it's got a tiny screen and such a superior operating system.

Hmmm... Very revealing.

4. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Only an issue to some. I have hardly anything turned off and are very happy with mine.

5. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I was having bad battery life. Shut off Ping. Shut of Push and change fetch to every hour. Take as much as you can from Notification Center (like Stocks, Weather, etc).

6. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it on then if it's not going to be a big deal.

I'm not really complaining about the battery life, although it did go pretty quick yesterday, but I'm sure that's just because it hasn't been cycled a few times yet....keeping my fingers crossed! lol

7. PJ. macrumors regular

I save battery by closing down apps rather than letting them run in the background (double tap home screen then press and hold app icon at the bottom like deleting an app then press on each no entry sign)

PJ

8. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

Same here - I am rather impressed that my battery is lasting as long as it is based on the use the phone is getting, especially Siri :cool:

9. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I do this too, I can't wait until the JB is ready though, so I can re-install Remove Background...which enables one to shut all apps in one single tap.

Thanks,

James

10. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

This is stupid.

I have everything turned on including fetching mail every 15 minutes and still had 65% left at the end of the day. the only thing I do not have on is any kind of social media.

Apple did not make a phone with a battery that will only last a few hours. You phone is new and you will play with it more than usual but after a few days you should be ale to leave your toy alone, somewhat.

For those who think they can spend hours reading a books and watching movies, the iPhone might need charging when you come up for breath.

90% of the new iPhone 4S users will find that the battery lasts more than enough and I am sure that future updates will even improve this. For the 10% you phone is broken or you are using too much.

11. urkel macrumors 68030

Two things missing from the iPhone that would really help people increase battery life are an App Kiiller (to shut all background apps at once) and quick access toggle switches for the radios (3G, WiFi, BT, GPS etc).

12. Champcar macrumors newbie

Run what you want to run in order to use the device how you want it. If battery life becomes an issue then think about getting a extended battery case.