What to upgrade: iPad 2 vs. iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by PJM, Nov 4, 2011.

1. PJM macrumors newbie

My dear wife asked me what I prefer as birthday gift: an iPad 2 or iPhone 4s. I currently have a first generation iPad and a 32gb iPhone 4. What do you think it is the most worthy upgrade?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I would look at something else since your current setup is very adequate. If it has to be one of those, then I would say iPad 2 since it's a bigger upgrade IMO (same hardware upgrades + camera and thinner).

3. sumone macrumors regular

Agreed! I would get something completely different surely there's something else you prefer. A new tv, a new watch, tickets to a sporting event, an upgrade to your car....

4. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

Like others said, iPad 1 and iPhone 4 aren't too far behind the newer models.

I am one of "those guys" that upgraded both from the originals. I can tell you from experience that I like the ipad2 upgrade more than the iPhone 4s upgrade.

I use the iPad2 a lot for pdf books/magazines, and its very snappier side by side.

The iPhone 4s is snappy as well, but I think the main awesome point of it (for me) is IOS 5, which you can get on the 4 anyways. Im not a big picture/video taker, nor have I found a way for siri to come into my everyday life.

So if you really want to upgrade one of them. I would upgrade the ipad2, but honestly like others said, both older gens are still really awesome

5. PJM thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for your comments.

My initial thinking was to go for something else. However, one of my kids desperately wants to inherit either one of these gadgets, so I guess I am “forced” to upgrade.

6. Genner21 macrumors newbie

I see.. That makes sense. iPad 2 I would say, it's a bigger update because I feel my iPad has some issues opening some programs, compared to my friends iPad 2. I guess it would really come down to how much of the iPad you use.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I think it comes down to whether you use the camera on your iPhone a lot, and/or really want to play with Siri. If either of those is the case, you might well enjoy the 4s more than the iPad 2.

You could also just base it on which you use more, since both will be about twice as fast after an upgrade.

8. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I would say wait for the iPad3. If the kid is really bugging you that much just get an iPod Touch now.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Both are still fine, but the iPad 2 is the one I'd go for, much better upgrade compared to iPhone 4 -> 4S.